Pyramiding?

MStacy

5 Year Member
Is this the beginning signs of pyramiding? Ive been slacking on daily baths. We do it 3-4 times a week. Totoro is 11 months old.IMG_20151008_121746708.jpg IMG_20151008_121806884.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
A little bit, yes. You can nip it in the bud by keeping your baby's environment more humid. Warm and humid.

MStacy

5 Year Member
It's at 83% humidity and 82 degrees...that's the norm for in there.
The UVB light only gets turned on a small amount each day because it gets up to 113 right under the lamp.
Her face and neck look crusty a lot.IMG_20151008_152512738.jpg

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
What kind of UV bulb is it? A mercury vapor bulb (they do heat and UV in one bulb)? Also, how often and for how long are you soaking?

MStacy

5 Year Member
MVB, but I only turn it on for 15 or so mins so it doesn't burn her up. No way to get it higher and keep the lid on.
There's a CHE on when the MVB isn't on.
I soak for 30 mins usually 3 to 4 times a week.
It makes her poo every time.
She seems very healthy. I'm just wondering if I need to soak more.
I spritz her with water and her mulch everyday.

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
I would consider using a different type of UV bulb, one that doesn't put off heat. I use Arcadia tube bulbs, some people use Reptisun (the tube, not coil style). I put my UV bulbs on timers so that they are on about 5 hours a day, when UV rays would be at their peak outside. A plain old incandescent 65 watt bulb is good for basking and for lighting up the enclosure some more...try to aim for about 100 degrees for the basking area. You can use the CHE for supplemental/night heat and put it on a thermostat so that it doesn't get too warm.

Your tortoise needs to be able to warm it's body temperature into the 90 degree range to digest it's food properly and get the nutrients from the food into it's body.

For the age of your tortoise, I would definitely be soaking daily for 20-30 minutes in water that is 85-95 degrees. I always spray the shell when the tortoise is soaking. That should help with the dry neck situation.