pyramiding?

sammy616

Hi all I'm a new mom to Sammy. I researched quite a bit before I got him and thought I had everything ready for him. But now that he has arrived I'm a little scared because to me it looks like he already has pyramiding. I'm told he is 6 months old and have only had him for 3 days. I just want to make sure I am reading all of your suggestions correctly. I have soaked him every day and he seems to love it. I have moistened sphagnum moss in his little house, which he has been sleeping in and I have been keeping his humidity between 70-80% and temp the same between 70-80*. Any other suggestions for preventing further pyramiding? Thanks ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1465446119.466115.jpg

GuyC

Thanks all.

Hi Sammy,
These are by no means my suggestions, as I´m going on what people here on the forum have discovered and shared, so take a look at the stickies in the sulcata section.

One thing that works for me is that I´ve made the sleeping house out of a plastic container with an entrance cut in filled with cocofiber and moss. The plastic retains the moisture, so it´s at 99% most of the time, rest of the enclosure I try to keep above 80, and that´s where Binky sleeps. Daily soaks and sprays, and TLC

Good luck

NB Schatzi would that be Wageningen by any chance, as that´s where I´m currently doing my PhD

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bixby
Hi all I'm a new mom to Sammy. I researched quite a bit before I got him and thought I had everything ready for him. But now that he has arrived I'm a little scared because to me it looks like he already has pyramiding. I'm told he is 6 months old and have only had him for 3 days. I just want to make sure I am reading all of your suggestions correctly. I have soaked him every day and he seems to love it. I have moistened sphagnum moss in his little house, which he has been sleeping in and I have been keeping his humidity between 70-80% and temp the same between 70-80*. Any other suggestions for preventing further pyramiding? Thanks View attachment 176787

Follow all the care sheets the best you can. I did and thanks to several members on this site I couldn't be happier with the progress of my two.chow time.jpg

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
My leopard was, The sully I got from a pet store and they had no clue how to raise them. Hopefully the breeder started things right and he wasn't with the pet store long. I had to educate them on how to keep torts.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi all I'm a new mom to Sammy. I researched quite a bit before I got him and thought I had everything ready for him. But now that he has arrived I'm a little scared because to me it looks like he already has pyramiding. I'm told he is 6 months old and have only had him for 3 days. I just want to make sure I am reading all of your suggestions correctly. I have soaked him every day and he seems to love it. I have moistened sphagnum moss in his little house, which he has been sleeping in and I have been keeping his humidity between 70-80% and temp the same between 70-80*. Any other suggestions for preventing further pyramiding? Thanks View attachment 176787

Sounds like you have it under control. ONe more thing you might consider - cover his habitat to keep the warm, moist air inside.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi all I'm a new mom to Sammy. I researched quite a bit before I got him and thought I had everything ready for him. But now that he has arrived I'm a little scared because to me it looks like he already has pyramiding. I'm told he is 6 months old and have only had him for 3 days. I just want to make sure I am reading all of your suggestions correctly. I have soaked him every day and he seems to love it. I have moistened sphagnum moss in his little house, which he has been sleeping in and I have been keeping his humidity between 70-80% and temp the same between 70-80*. Any other suggestions for preventing further pyramiding? Thanks

Hello and welcome.

70 is much too cool. The temp in the enclosure should not drop below 80, day or night. And he should have a basking area of around 95-100 all day.

I would not use sphagnum moss with a sulcata. I've raised hundreds of them and every single one would try to eat sphagnum moss. I tried to use it in various ways many times and ended up having to remove it every time.

He does already have pyramiding, but don't worry about it. Follow this care sheet and it will stop:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

These will help too:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
You should get those temps up , as Tom said it should never be lower than 80 anywhere in his enclosure ! He has some pyramiding started , so I would be soaking him on a daily basis ! I soak Speedy for an hour a day , and it has worked out well for me ! ;)

Speedy DO.jpg