Pyramiding

kyle12345w

I am new to this forum and I am just wondering if it looks like my yearling sulcata has pyramiding. I have him on half coconut husk and half orchard grass hay and I mist the coconut husk daily, and he has a humid hide. I also soak him at least 5 times a week and I watch him to make sure that he is drinking. I would just like to know if what I am doing is the right thing to prevent him from pyramiding and I would like any more suggestions of how to prevent it from happening. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance!

1449795587407.jpg 1449795601328.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Kyle, and welcome to the Forum!

A little bit, but it's not bad. he's actually a very nice-looking little sulcata. You might consider not using any hay at all, and change substrate to either coco coir, a mixture of coco coir and dirt, or orchid bark. You can moisten any of these, and you really can't moisten the hay without having it grow mold. Spraying the substrate isn't good enough. You have to really wet it.

kyle12345w

Thank you very much for your reply, yvonne. I will change him over to coco coir within the next few days. I am just very worried that i am not doing enough to prevent him from pyramiding.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
If you read the threads in the sulcata section you can't go wrong . Humidity and the right foods go a long way on this fight .