Pyramiding??

Fuugottie

Location (City and/or State)
Ontario
Does this look like the start of pyramiding on my 8 month old leopard tortoise?

Attachments

• 1C94A958-38A8-4708-A3F5-067429513491.jpeg
    1C94A958-38A8-4708-A3F5-067429513491.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 89
  • 066A1B65-CB43-4AB6-858F-B5C196B004E2.jpeg
    066A1B65-CB43-4AB6-858F-B5C196B004E2.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 86

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The yellow is new growth. If there is any pyramiding it's so slight it's hard to see.
Be sure to use an enclosed chamber enclosure with 80% humidity and do not use a mercury vapor bulb and he should grow nice and smooth.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
It does look like there may be a start, but really hard to tell from the angle of the picture. We need a good side view from tortoise height to really nit-pick on a small bit of pyramiding starting. There is nice new growth. Just look for that newest growth to be coming in at the same height as the older keratin right next to it. No dips or valleys being created is what you what.

autumn_0201

Kuantan

I don't think there's pyramiding, because the shell looks quite smooth to me. If it's pyramiding, the shell will literally look like a pyramid! With bumps as well. But I think u don't need to worry!

Fuugottie

Ontario
It does look like there may be a start, but really hard to tell from the angle of the picture. We need a good side view from tortoise height to really nit-pick on a small bit of pyramiding starting. There is nice new growth. Just look for that newest growth to be coming in at the same height as the older keratin right next to it. No dips or valleys being created is what you what.
When I first got him probably up until last week I didn’t know the humidity had to be as high so I was lacking on that part! I have it up rn to 70-75% it’s hard to maintain it without making the hole bottom of the enclosure full of water! I do have a closed chamber tank (homemade) it’s working pretty well so far! If he is starting to pyramid can it be corrected at this stage?

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
When I first got him probably up until last week I didn’t know the humidity had to be as high so I was lacking on that part! I have it up rn to 70-75% it’s hard to maintain it without making the hole bottom of the enclosure full of water! I do have a closed chamber tank (homemade) it’s working pretty well so far! If he is starting to pyramid can it be corrected at this stage?
At this stage/age - absolutely. This is the time to be sure it is correct conditions in order to grow a smooth tortoise. Anything at this stage is just barely starting. Closed chamber. 90%+ humidity. Plenty of plant cover for natural hides. No excessive Near-IR and UVA.

Fuugottie

Ontario
At this stage/age - absolutely. This is the time to be sure it is correct conditions in order to grow a smooth tortoise. Anything at this stage is just barely starting. Closed chamber. 90%+ humidity. Plenty of plant cover for natural hides. No excessive Near-IR and UVA.
What do u mean by near-ir and should I be putting more real plants in? I have an aloe plant inside the enclosure in a raised container so he doesn’t eat it all

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
What do u mean by near-ir and should I be putting more real plants in? I have an aloe plant inside the enclosure in a raised container so he doesn’t eat it all
Near IR is the "heat" a basking bulb or very hot heat source gives off. It is what feels so warm when you are in direct sunlight. The hotter the source, the shorter the wavelength of IR (Infrared Radiation). The short wave IR is the most desiccating on the carapace, so we want to minimize that while still giving basking heat. That is a delicate balance in raising tortoises without pyramiding. So using a regular incandescent bulb of low wattage - just enough to get the correct basking temperature is important. The Mercury Vapor and high intensity bulbs sold for reptiles give too much near IR as they burn so hot.

Plants also help mitigate this as well as provide a natural cover that is vital to the well-being of your tortoise. A tortoise naturally will seek out plant cover in the wild and stay hidden most of the time. When young, you will almost never see a young tortoise in the wild. They not only hide from predators, but more importantly, they hide from desiccating conditions. So you want plants in pots that spill over the sides to create that natural hide and cover. Pothos. Boston fern. Spider plant. Your aloe will not give that type of cover.