pyramiding

Status
Not open for further replies.

cknfrmr

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Kernersville, NC
I was wondering about pyramiding. I have been keeping my little Sulcata by the 3 H's and on a combination of every diet out there that has been mentioned benificail to the breed. Is there going still be a tendency for slight pyramiding due to the fact that it is a tortoise? Thanks for takeing the time to read this question.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Right now if you read tom's threads on it, his are still smooth as a babies bottom, I sincerely think if you follow his route you should have no pyramiding. But only time will tell. Remember if slight pyramiding occurs it will be cosmetic.

jenkins2728

5 Year Member
Indiana
I was thinking the same thing. Great question. My little youngsters are staying hydrated, heated, and humid. Diet is okay. Seem picky, but yeah. I hope minimal pyramiding occurs.

M

Maggie Cummings

I believe you also need to feed a good varied diet and give them lots of exercise along with Tom's 3 h's. If you have it right, there should be no pyramiding IMO

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've seen all sorts of stuff and situations all over the world for 30 years and I still don't have all the answers. For a while I was arguing that you could raise a smooth one with only high humidity, but as I live and learn, I have to agree more and more with Maggie. The ones that live outside all the time, like in AZ, just grow smoother. Humidity and hydration for little hatchlings is definitely key, but sunshine, exercise, calcium and the right diet are all major factors too... I think.

My research is ongoing. Lots of new experiments planned for this coming spring's hatchlings.

No one knows or sure, but what Maggie just said, and I repeated, is the best that we know right now. It is working fairly well for me on two species and I'm just starting a third. More and more people are trying it with a variety of species and the answers will be coming in the next few years.

cknfrmr

5 Year Member
Kernersville, NC
THANKS for ALL imput and suggestions. I am following all of them diet, sun, exercise, and I even hold conversations with the little thing. Looking forward to all the future threads from everyone. Glad to have all this at my finger tips. Wishing everyone the best.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Excuse the OT post, but, is that a little old lady on a chopper?

M

Maggie Cummings

cknfrmr said:
THANKS for ALL imput and suggestions. I am following all of them diet, sun, exercise, and I even hold conversations with the little thing. Looking forward to all the future threads from everyone. Glad to have all this at my finger tips. Wishing everyone the best.

You're gonna need to start worrying when he answers you back...

melcloud

5 Year Member
Tucson, AZ
Tom said:
I have a question. Does pyramiding occur after a certain age? My Elvis is eight years old and has a little bit of tenting. Can it get worse with the wrong diet at this age? Or can I feed him whatever now that he is older? He eat's mainly grass but I do feed him salad leftovers quite frequently.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
melcloud said:
Tom said:
I have a question. Does pyramiding occur after a certain age? My Elvis is eight years old and has a little bit of tenting. Can it get worse with the wrong diet at this age? Or can I feed him whatever now that he is older? He eat's mainly grass but I do feed him salad leftovers quite frequently.

Hi Melanie:

You don't have to worry about it anymore. It usually happens to sulcatas when they are in the first couple of years of life...and then its due to humidity, not diet.

NEtorts

10 Year Member!
North East
So Yvonne , are you saying that if your sulcata is not pyramiding by the time he is a few years old he probably wont? I have read quite a bit (so i thought ) on the topic but never really picked up on that issue of age i guess.... I understood the importance of all of the factors as a young tort but just assumed it would be just as important through out the torts life. hmmmm not that i would change anything but ......so i guess my question would be, will a sulcatas carapace pyramid starting at an older age say 8-10 years+ and if so would it have to be very severely unhealthy conditions? And on the other side if you had an older tort with severe pyramiding what are the chances of getting it back on track, cosmetically?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The magic number seems to be around 6-8". This, coincidentally, corresponds to the time in the wild when the little ones would start coming above ground more often. If you can make it to that size smooth they will stay smooth. This is not the case for all species. I'm only talking about sulcatas here.

For the other way around now, all of them start to smooth out naturally as they get bigger. They only need the wet routine when they are relatively small. So if you have a badly pyramided juvenile, it will start to smooth out in normal dry conditions, once it reaches a certain size.

Status
Not open for further replies.