Question about my new Hermann's baby

NerdtasticLady

I've had my R2D2 for 3 days. The first day I had him I soaked him as soon as I unpacked him and put him in his enclosure. He went straight and ate ( a mixture of kale, turnip greens, mustard greens, red chard, radicchio, tatsoi, arugula, and lamb lettuce) I mixed that in with moistened Mazuri tortoise pellets. Then he burrowed himself down and slept.

Yesterday and today I've noticed (at least I think) that he hasn't eaten anything and is pretty much staying burrowed all day and all night. I soak him for about 15 minutes in lukewarm water and then he walks around until he finds a place to burrow and that's where he stays.

His setup is a 50 gallon Rubbermaid tote, 100W Powersun Mercury vapor bulb, Zilla Jungle mix, Coconut Coir and organic potting soil mix. He has some live plants (Jade, Spider plant, and an aloe vera plant). A weed mixture will be planted in the enclosure as well as soon as they grow large enough. He also has peat moss around the enclosure and under the hide he likes. A flat clean rock is where he is fed and he has a shallow water dish with around 1/4" water in it at all times.

Temps are 95F at all times on the basking spot, ambient is right around 82-83F all day, and at night it never drops below 75F. Humidity stays around 68-70%.

I have not made a vet checkup appointment yet as my herp vet is out of town.

But is it normal that he has only eaten (that I have noticed he could be eating while I am at work but I don't notice any food missing) the first day and is staying burrowed most of the time?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
yes it's pretty normal. When they move to a New Territory they're unsure if there's another tours around they usually eat as much as they can and then go hide. They usually take a couple of days sometimes a week or so to readjust.

NerdtasticLady

Thank you! I've had quite a few new reptiles but not so many babies to freak out over. :)

I am more used to the dog/cat/rabbit adjusting periods.

NerdtasticLady

Hi, It's been a nearly a week since Artoo has eaten. He won't eat at all. I talked to my vet who has suggested soaking him in a carrot baby food/water mixture for 20-25 minutes a day before stressing him out with a vet trip. I've done this 3 days so far. I fill it as far as I do his normal soaks with about 1/4 jar of the carrot food and put him in. He does drink a bit of it but that is the only thing he is 'eating'.

Yesterday when I took him out and placed him in his normal water soak he pooped a small white worm (I think it was a worm it was incredibly small but looked worm-like). So now he has a vet appointment for tomorrow. But not sure how I will be able to administer his medication since he doesn't eat anything and I'm not well versed in such tiny mouths. With my dogs or snakes, they have rather large mouths to pry open and give medication.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Was the small white 'worm' urate by any chance?

Urate is a white jelly like substance that torts excrete. It's the tort's way of ridding itself of excess proteins and is completely normal. The only time to be concerned is if the urate becomes grainy; this is a sign of dehydration.

A fresh poop sample is needed by the vet to check for parasites and worms.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
With new torts it can take weeks for them to get used to a new location and fussing over them makes it worse. Some are very slow on the uptake.

I recommend a routine which helps the tort to get used to the idea that you are safe.

- Put the lights on a timer so they go on and off at the same time every day.

- Soak your tort for 30 minutes before it's warmed up properly.

- While it soaks, tidy the enclosure and place food.

- Replace the tort and walk away. Resist the temptation to watch; you're big and intimidating at the moment.

Your tort will get used to the idea that you mean food and become active in your presence, but these things take time.

NerdtasticLady

I've only experienced urates with my other reptiles. And they were larger (I guess it would make sense that it be small since he is so small) and kind of powdery.

I am mostly concerned with him not wanting to eat at all. I've checked and rechecked his parameters to make sure everything is correct and making sure I don't bother him (other than to soak him).

NerdtasticLady

Sorry replied at the same time. His lights are on a 12 hour timer. I don't hover over him because I know how finicky reptiles can be in a new place.

But is it going to hurt him not to eat for this long?

Thank you for the suggestions I will accept and implement anything that will get him on the right track.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Keep weighing him weekly at roughly the same time of day each time for consistency. That way you will know what's going on, but remember that in small torts a pee or poop can make a massive difference.

A healthy tort can go a long time without food, but not water, so daily 30 minute soaks are essential. Get concerned if there is evidence of significant or continued weight loss.

NerdtasticLady

Okay thank you! I will keep an eye on his weight. I do the soaking daily as is so I will keep doing that as well.

ClinardClan

Can someone offer some advice and maybe just tell me not to worry i hope. We just got a baby hermanns Dalmation tort, he is very small, maybe 2". I'm concerned because he has been staying burrowed, i know that's common, but he isn't eating either. i put him on the plate after i soak him and he still hasn't eaten since we got him in the mail 2 days ago. he is in a smaller container (18x12") because i was worried he'd get lost in his enclosure we have for him bc its 2ft by 4ft. i have a 5.0 uvb light on him for 12 hrs a day with a 75w heating element and i have been turning everything off at night. I have soaked him once and plan on doing so every other day, the first time i soaked him he did not poop. i haven't seen any poop or urate at all. i am feeding him the Muzori LS with some diced up zuccini but i have not noticed him eat anything at all. i am misting his enclosure too. We've had sulcatas and a red foot in the past, but they were never shy or inactive and ate well right when we got them home. i'm worried....