Question about Temperature controller - Zilla

DoctorPotterWho

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Hey everyone!

I just got my Zilla temperature controller in today. It says to place the temperature probe in the terrarium that does not receive direct gradient heat, but in the warmest area. This is conflicting to me. Where is the best place to put the probe. Should it go lower down closer to the floor or mid range? Does it go below the CHE or somewhere right next to it? The warmest place in the tank is directly under the CHE. I set the high temp for 85 degrees F. Does this sound good for a 6 month Cherry head?

Thanks!! =)

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
I usually set the probe on top of their humid hides but this depends on your layout. I hook it up to the CHE and it will turn on automatically when it is lower than the temp set at. I set mine between 78-80F. I also have a basking spot for them. I use a flood bulb on a timer from 6am to 7pm. And for UV requirements they go outdoors for a few hours during the week.

DoctorPotterWho

Florida
I usually set the probe on top of their humid hides but this depends on your layout. I hook it up to the CHE and it will turn on automatically when it is lower than the temp set at. I set mine between 78-80F. I also have a basking spot for them. I use a flood bulb on a timer from 6am to 7pm. And for UV requirements they go outdoors for a few hours during the week.

Thanks! My tank is set up with CHE in back left corner. I keep spagmoss that is soaked under it to keep it humid. To the right on the opposite side is where is hide is with moist spagmoss inside of it. It stays cooler on that side. I set the probe on the warmer side but opposite of the CHE and I saw where the temp reading keeps going down. It's staying right at 81 or 82 on the warm side and 80 to 81 on the cool side. I was hoping to get it to about 85 on the warm side if not a little more.

I do not have a basking light. I just take him outside for a couple of hours a day usually.

DoctorPotterWho

Florida
I moved the probe closer to the CHE, but if it was keeping it cooler being a few inches away I think it will get even cooler if it's too close to the CHE

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Put it down low about center of enclosure , so you know that your over all lowest temp hits 80 ! Tip , put it in a small plastic bag so it doesn't get damp or dirty ! ;)

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
I put mine at the cool end away from the CHE so I know that's not dropping below 80 anywhere In the enclosure. they will move if it's get too warm around the CHE. I have temp gauges in different spots so I can see how hot it gets under the CHE plus my temp gun. During the day the CHE never kicks on because my lights keep it warm. Remember that at night you don't temps to drop below 80 anywhere in the enclosure.

Last edited by a moderator:

DoctorPotterWho

Florida
I put mine at the cool end away from the CHE so I know that's not dropping below 80 anywhere In the enclosure. they will move if it's get too warm around the CHE. I have temp gauges in different spots so I can see how hot it gets under the CHE plus my temp gun. During the day the CHE never kicks on because my lights keep it warm. Remember that at night you don't temps to drop below 80 anywhere in the enclosure.

Ah yes, that makes sense to me. I appreciate yours and everyone else's help!

DoctorPotterWho

Florida
So far, with it on the hot end, it has been staying at perfect temps, however it seems like as soon as the light goes off to let the temp balance, the red indicator light comes right back on. Is that normal? I am thinking I need to cover more on the top because the heat must be escaping. I know you wouldn't want the light to stay on continuously and it's definitely shutting off, but maybe 30 seconds to a minute later, it comes back on.

Alexio

Syracuse, New York
Do you mean the CHE stays on for most of the time once your daytime lights go off?

Without seeing pictures of your setup it's hard to say for sure but probably coving the whole top is going to be your best bet. This way the heat emitter turns on warms the area then turns off and the heat and humidity is retained better. This is one I did in a 55 gallon tank. It's also easier to hold heat/ humidity when you enclose your lamps.

DoctorPotterWho

Florida
I only have a CHE and a UVB strip on top of the enclosure. Here is the set up. It's a temporary tank until we can find a bigger set up. I have been looking at some of the boa enclosure tanks, but there aren't too many to choose from on the sites I've found.

I have the CHE in the far back left corner and the thermostat probe at the front of the enclosure. I have temp gauges on opposite sides of each other. I keep the uvb strip on the opposite side so that it isn't too bright in the enclosure.

I am keeping the right side at around 81 degrees constantly. The left side where the CHE is tends to get to about 85 degrees or so. I keep the front of the tank slightly cracked because I haven't figured out how to run the thermostat probe without making a hole in the top of the enclosure screen.

I have cellophane on the top of the enclosure to hold in humidity.

Attachments

• 20160913_095443 (1).jpg
    20160913_095443 (1).jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 16
  • 20160913_095535.jpg
    20160913_095535.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 14
  • 20160915_151003.jpg
    20160915_151003.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 15
  • 20160915_151008.jpg
    20160915_151008.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 15

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
So far, with it on the hot end, it has been staying at perfect temps, however it seems like as soon as the light goes off to let the temp balance, the red indicator light comes right back on. Is that normal? I am thinking I need to cover more on the top because the heat must be escaping. I know you wouldn't want the light to stay on continuously and it's definitely shutting off, but maybe 30 seconds to a minute later, it comes back on.

That won't be a problem at all, Its just cycling on and off. I deal with temperature controllers all day at work and that's just what they do. You can also try covering the enclosure a little more and that will help, the only thing that will happen is it will cut the lifespan of the CHE a little.

Last edited by a moderator:

DoctorPotterWho

Florida
That won't be a problem at all, Its just cycling on and off. I deal with temperature controllers all day at work and that's just what they do. You can also try covering the enclosure a little more and that will help, the only thing that will happen is it will cut the lifespan of the CHE a little.

Thank you!

So I got my temperature gun in today and it's saying a completely different temperature in the tank. It's reading 87 in some area's, but I had the thermostat set at 85 for the high. I just turned it down about 30 minutes ago to 81/82 degrees and it's still reading at 84 degrees on the opposite side of the CHE.