Question about white spots...

chrismaya

Hello,

My wife and I recently adopted a very small Greek tortoise. We've had "Buddy" for three weeks now. A couple of days ago, we noticed some small barely-visible spots on his shell. Since this is our first tortoise, we weren't sure what is causing it, if it is normal or if there is any cause for concern.

I am attaching a photo of the spots in question.

We've searched through the forums and other websites, but we can't seem to find anything that addresses these particular types of spots.

Thanks in advance for any help!

-Chris

spots001.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hello,

My wife and I recently adopted a very small Greek tortoise. We've had "Buddy" for three weeks now. A couple of days ago, we noticed some small barely-visible spots on his shell. Since this is our first tortoise, we weren't sure what is causing it, if it is normal or if there is any cause for concern.

I am attaching a photo of the spots in question.

We've searched through the forums and other websites, but we can't seem to find anything that addresses these particular types of spots.

Thanks in advance for any help!

-Chris

View attachment 187178

Oh… The dreaded white squiggly lines again…

HA! Just kidding. We've discussed this many times here and no one seems to know what those are, but we all agree they are normal and harmless. If you want to read more about it, the search Yvonne suggested will give you pages and pages of enjoyment.

Also: Hello and welcome!

chrismaya

Thank you, all! We are new to the world or tortoises -- and this is a welcomed relief. My wife and I have been reading through these forums as guests for quite some time before obtaining Buddy. My wife is diligently reading through posts here for information and tips. Hopefully, we'll be able to contribute to the forums as time goes on.

Thanks again!

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the form, @chrismaya .

A gorgeous little tort, you've got! GOD bless.

Nothing to worry about as far as the "squiggly" lines are concerned. By the way, have you read the "Beginners Mistakes" Thread? A lot of info there that could help.

chrismaya

Thanks for the input! BTW, does anyone know what subspecies of Greek tortoise this might be?