Question caramel Leopard tortoise VS ivory/white leopard tortoise

Thundersnow

Location (City and/or State)
Kentucky
Does anyone know about Leopard tortoise coloring that is caramel? I know there is the white/ivory never heard of caramel or are the colors all similar just have different names? Thanks

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
In my OPINION color variations in leopard tortoises are due to conditions - habitat, UVB exposure, indoors, etc. I think applying a name like that to a tortoise is so the seller can ask more $$ for it. I've seen many an ivory leopard turn 'normal' after a few months of living in regular outdoor environment.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Did you see any adult 'caramel' tortoises? I don't know of any isolated, reproducible color morphs in leopards. The way I just read about the 'caramel' leopards, it sounded light they were suggesting it was from a specific location, but even then I haven't seen anything other than those trying to sell the caramel babies.

Even with the lighter colored leopards, I don't know that anyone is making a serious effort to line breed them to emphasize it.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree with Yvonne. It's labeled to sell for more money, but many are just a lighter or darker version, depending on what they want to label it and are a regular colored leopard as they mature.