Question (wall height for sulcata)

Bobbyott

I'm getting ready to start building my new indoor enclosure and need some input on how high to make the sides? I plan on going 3ft wide by maybe 11 to 15 ft. Long. I'm going to try and do a corner enclosure, 11ft down one wall and turn another 4 to 5 ft. Just not sure the side height.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
My 110lb sulcata has never tried to climb his 20" (3 horizontal boards high at 5.5" each)

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
It depends on how big your sulcata is. I've got some of the largest sullies at just 4 years old. The walls inside and outside are about two feet tall (24"), but they're beginning to look over the walls. So, I would adjust the size of the wall accordingly.

Bobbyott

I will definitely go higher then 2ft. My guys only 8mo. But I hope that this will work for awhile. I don't want to over kill it I was thinking 3 to 4ft.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I will definitely go higher then 2ft. My guys only 8mo. But I hope that this will work for awhile. I don't want to over kill it I was thinking 3 to 4ft.
Higher is better. Make sure you post pics of the enclosure so we can see and enjoy it :)

MichiganFrog

5 Year Member
Northwest Florida
Higher is better. Make sure you post pics of the enclosure so we can see and enjoy it :)

Sibi and I just doubled one of the cinder block walls for one of our Sulcata's pens. The wall used to be one block thick and two blocks high, but it was leaning in places. (The tortoise in question knocked the top block over, climbed over the lower block and went on a rampage.). So we doubled the wall and added rebar to reinforce it. If you like, I could attach some photos of our handiwork...?

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Speedy's enclosure is 3 cinder blocks high , so 24 inches . He is far from fully grown , but I believe that will be plenty !

HI Tortoise Rescue

5 Year Member
Oahu, Hawaii
Wall sizes depend on the size of your Sulcatas. My two 200-pound males recently knocked over a 4-foot wall, & aren't cooperating at all in its rebuilding.

Ken