Wall Height For Sulcata

digibond

Location (City and/or State)
Maui
I was looking for a post on wall height for a Sulcata, and saw this from Tom. I was thinking 24” high, but Speedy is already 11” long (front shell to back, basically fills up a piece of paper).

“They are surprisingly agile climbers. I've always tried to incorporate hills and elevation changes in my enclosure. They walk right up some pretty steep slopes, like it flat ground. 24" should contain a 13" sulcata for a while. That's about the height of my wall and my biggest is around 20".

Does 13” mean length. Speedy is 11” from front to back of shell, basically fills up a piece of paper. I’m hoping to build something that lasts at least 7 years.

Thanks,

Dale

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I was looking for a post on wall height for a Sulcata, and saw this from Tom. I was thinking 24” high, but Speedy is already 11” long (front shell to back, basically fills up a piece of paper).

“They are surprisingly agile climbers. I've always tried to incorporate hills and elevation changes in my enclosure. They walk right up some pretty steep slopes, like it flat ground. 24" should contain a 13" sulcata for a while. That's about the height of my wall and my biggest is around 20".

Does 13” mean length. Speedy is 11” from front to back of shell, basically fills up a piece of paper. I’m hoping to build something that lasts at least 7 years.

Thanks,

Dale
Most of mine have always been contained by block walls that are 3 blocks high which is 18 inches. Over the years I have had two bullish adult males that started pushing through the walls once they got over 80-100 pounds. Stacked but staggered block walls contain smaller ones very well, but once they get a little bigger, you'll need something more substantial.