Question:

Status
Not open for further replies.

actionmanuk

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
united kingdom
i was wondering if anyone can help me i have added x2 marginated tortoises to my family. they are onthe right bedding and too have adequate light and heat lamp ....also a heat mat....the temperature settings are correct and the cool end of the vavarium is as it should be...they too eat right feeds and with calcium powder and vitamins ect ect.....they are both last years babys...they were courioured to us from essex last weeks from a vets (whom we purchased them from)and one of then is very sleepy he/she likes to wake up play eat for about 5 hours and then he.she digs to sleep.while her friend well he/se is the opposite he is like a guard on duty up and down and up and dow...i have bathed them in luke warm water too also when it was warm the other day i let them play out (supervised as they can quit emove some)on clean new turf i recenlty purchased...the vet says he/she can be tired because of the stress of being delivered to new home enviroment ect....she/he eats well but very tired any help or advice please will be very much appreciated! i have put the vavarium on here: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=djCvxTYiXV0 as i filmed them today....(i wont be a film director) any help on this very much appreciated maybe i am worrying over nothing......but.......
ps: thankyou for taking time on reading this [email protected][/b]

hystrix

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hello,

I think it's normal for young torts to sleep a lot. One of my torts sleeps all the time. He is almost a year old. Sometimes I don't see him awake for a couple of days. Maybe he's moving around while I am away and goes back to the same spot to sleep by the time I check on him... If you see your tortoise awake and active for 5 hours, I'd say that's pretty good :)

Each of my tortoises has different personality. Some more active, others less.. If they are eating well, I would not worry about it :D

The more active one might be walking up and down because he/she is trying to go through the glass. I would place a wide tape or strips of paper around the viv at the level of the substrate, so he/she cannot see outside.

Another thing though, most people are against using heat mat for tortoises. They say it's not good to heat torts from the bottom.

Good luck:)

actionmanuk

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
united kingdom
thankyou hystrix i appreciate your help and all seems weel with them then....i too called the vet whom i purcheased them from and he says it too maybe the change of enviroment and stress of them being delivered too!!1 but i have taken your advice and taken the heat mat out. (but bought a red night heat light) ready for the winter months....as it tends to get cold here!!!as i am told they must not hibernate for another 4yrs as that could kill them as they are too young?)...anyway any helpful advice very much appreciated and how are your tortoises? hope they are well....speak soon and thankyou for replying to my query on here....CHEERS

hystrix

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
my tortoises are doing fine. Thank you:)
I have just added another little one to my family. I will post the picture soon.

Em

jasso2

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
totally awesome video! i want some !

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
Did you get them from Dave Feldmar?

Ed

actionmanuk said:
i was wondering if anyone can help me i have added x2 marginated tortoises to my family. they are onthe right bedding and too have adequate light and heat lamp ....also a heat mat....the temperature settings are correct and the cool end of the vavarium is as it should be...they too eat right feeds and with calcium powder and vitamins ect ect.....they are both last years babys...they were courioured to us from essex last weeks from a vets (whom we purchased them from)and one of then is very sleepy he/she likes to wake up play eat for about 5 hours and then he.she digs to sleep.while her friend well he/se is the opposite he is like a guard on duty up and down and up and dow...i have bathed them in luke warm water too also when it was warm the other day i let them play out (supervised as they can quit emove some)on clean new turf i recenlty purchased...the vet says he/she can be tired because of the stress of being delivered to new home enviroment ect....she/he eats well but very tired any help or advice please will be very much appreciated! i have put the vavarium on here: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=djCvxTYiXV0 as i filmed them today....(i wont be a film director) any help on this very much appreciated maybe i am worrying over nothing......but.......
ps: thankyou for taking time on reading this [email protected][/b]

Status
Not open for further replies.