Questions about getting rad in FL

Status
Not open for further replies.

voodoochild

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tampa FL
I live in Tampa. I've had adult redfoots for a couple years now. I posted another thread trying to get ideas for adding another species and someone suggested radiated. I've always thought these were amazing looking but never seen them for sale but with the power of google it looks like they go for 2000! I'm wondering why such a high price tag? Hard to keep alive, hard to breed? With a price that high it would seem to be possible to make a couple bucks. I'd need to make a couple bucks to convince my wife we need to spend 4-5 grand on a couple baby torts. Thanks!

CLMoss

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, New York
Hi, You can get Radiated for less than that. Check out Bill Zovickian. He has some beautiful tortoises for sale. Check out KingSnake for his email address. ~C

Q'sTortie

5 Year Member
Tampa, Florida
Hi Voodoochild,
I always thought the high price was due to the fact that they are an endangered species. You can't even cross state borders with out a CBW permit. Im planning on getting one soon and from what I read they are easy to care for. I have a leopard tortoise and their diet of weeds and grass is pretty similar. I personal cant wait for the honor to own these beauties!!
Check out Coastal's radiated, im getting mine from them:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Growth-Update#axzz23T5tsUtx

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
I have seen some last year for sale for $650. You can purchase within the state of Florida without issues, however if you try to purchase from any other state you need a permit! You might be able to get one between $800 and $1000 at the Daytona show. Great species and do well in Florida!

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
The price tag is because they are an extremely beautiful tortoise and because they are quite rare. $2,000 is definitely not a baby price Aldabramans got the price range down for you. Extremely hardy tort! There should be plenty to choose from at the show.

coastal

10 Year Member!
Florida
Price is relative, you can buy on the low end for darker and or miss scute animals. You can pay in the middle for average, and on the high end for one of a kinds. If you're looking for something special email me. If your looking for a deal check the show there will be a mix of animals. That said the best stock won't be at the show!

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
voodoochild said:
I live in Tampa. I've had adult redfoots for a couple years now. I posted another thread trying to get ideas for adding another species and someone suggested radiated. I've always thought these were amazing looking but never seen them for sale but with the power of google it looks like they go for 2000! I'm wondering why such a high price tag? Hard to keep alive, hard to breed? With a price that high it would seem to be possible to make a couple bucks. I'd need to make a couple bucks to convince my wife we need to spend 4-5 grand on a couple baby torts. Thanks!

As far as the wife goes just tell her about it after the deal is done:D,,,, thats what I did. I also encourage my wife to get what she wants.

voodoochild

10 Year Member!
Tampa FL
bigred said:
voodoochild said:

As far as the wife goes just tell her about it after the deal is done:D,,,, thats what I did. I also encourage my wife to get what she wants.

That's normally what I do. But you shoulda seen her when she found out I bought a $25 baby veiled Cham. Could only imagine what would happen if I dropped a couple g's on a tort.

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
The price for baby Radiateds has dropped considerably over the last few years. I too have seen babies go for $650 last year and even this year. They are considered by many "the most beautiful tortoise in the world". That's strictly an opinion, but due to their looks, the fact that you need a CBW to cross state lines with them and that they are referred to as a "high end tortoise" is what gives them a high price tag. Price can vary from breeder to breeder and may mainly be because they are worth more or less to anyone particular person.

The "high yellow" term is what boosts the price considerably here and also the bloodline. A Radiated is a Radiated and nothing else. Some have more yellow than others making them stand out and become "eye candy". I had one like this, he came from Bill Zovickian, had an extremely high price tag and had an extremely high percentage of yellow. I sold him and decided to keep my more natural looking adults.

They are very hardy and and an excellent species to work with and well worth the money. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.