Questions about Mazuri Tortoise Food

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nobody

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Philippines
Forgive the ignorance.Anyway,would anyone know if Mazuri is high in Oxalic Acid?
Thanks.

M

Maggie Cummings

It was created to feed zoo animals. I feed it to my bigger Sulcata, but I don't like the way my hatchlings acted when I tried them on it. They stopped eating the greens and just wanted the Mazuri. My Mediterranean tort did the same thing. Then it was a battle to get them eating greens again.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Nobody:

Since Mazuri Tortoise Diet was formulated to be a healthy food for Galapagos tortoises, I seriously doubt it would be high in oxalates.

Nobody

5 Year Member
Philippines
Livingstone said:
I have been using mazuri for Livingstone since I have had him as a hatchling. I boil some water and add three pellets of mazuri leaving them in for about 2 minutes, they expand and soften. The tort loves them, he will eat all the mazuri before anything else. His daily feeding (he is fed once a day) is 3 pellets of mazuri, 5 leaves of spring mix, and some opuntia fruit.

And to the best of my knowledge he is a growing and happy sulcata... Also no pyramiding at all.

How often in a week,do you feed Mazuri to your tortoise?Also,how old is your tortoise now and whatspecies is he/her?Any pictures?
Thanks.

Andy_Panda

5 Year Member
Chico , California
Ok I am not interested in hurting the Mazuri community ... and I did not know were else to post this...

Recently compared the Mazuri and the Zoomed Grassland tortoise food and well I found a few interesting facts.... Mazuri is sister company to Purina (a dog / cat food company) its first 7 ingredients are in direct order as followed: Ground Soybean hulls. Ground corn, Ground oats, De-hulled soybean meal, Wheat middling’s, cane molasses, dehydrated alfalfa meal.... .

now the first 7 ingredients in the Grassland tortoise food is as followed Sun cured Oat Hay, Sun cured Timothy hay, Soybean hulls, Wheat middling’s, Sun cured alfalfa meal, whole ground wheat, Escarole..

Then I looked on the crude protein/ Crude Fiber content of both products

Mazuri:
Not less than ... 15 % crude protein
Not more than... 18 % crude fiber

Grassland Tortoise Food
Not less than ... 9% crude protein
Not more than... 26 % crude fiber

Like I said I’m not trying to rain on anyone’s parade, and I’m a newer Sulcata owner .... But the Grassland tortoise food is a newer product and might be a little more beneficial to our "Pyramiding" problem....

Sources:
Mazuri..... https://www.mazuri.com/Home.asp?Products=1 on the "side bar under reptile tthne towards bottom for PDF link Mazuri Tortoise Diet"

Grassland Tortoise food.... the 35 Oz. container I have at home

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Andy_Panda said:
Ok I am not interested in hurting the Mazuri community ... and I did not know were else to post this...

Recently compared the Mazuri and the Zoomed Grassland tortoise food and well I found a few interesting facts.... Mazuri is sister company to Purina (a dog / cat food company) its first 7 ingredients are in direct order as followed: Ground Soybean hulls. Ground corn, Ground oats, De-hulled soybean meal, Wheat middling’s, cane molasses, dehydrated alfalfa meal.... .

now the first 7 ingredients in the Grassland tortoise food is as followed Sun cured Oat Hay, Sun cured Timothy hay, Soybean hulls, Wheat middling’s, Sun cured alfalfa meal, whole ground wheat, Escarole..

Then I looked on the crude protein/ Crude Fiber content of both products

Mazuri:
Not less than ... 15 % crude protein
Not more than... 18 % crude fiber

Grassland Tortoise Food
Not less than ... 9% crude protein
Not more than... 26 % crude fiber

Like I said I’m not trying to rain on anyone’s parade, and I’m a newer Sulcata owner .... But the Grassland tortoise food is a newer product and might be a little more beneficial to our "Pyramiding" problem....

Sources:
Mazuri..... https://www.mazuri.com/Home.asp?Products=1 on the "side bar under reptile tthne towards bottom for PDF link Mazuri Tortoise Diet"

Grassland Tortoise food.... the 35 Oz. container I have at home

you bring up valid points. i just know that HUGE zoos, Los Angeles, and San Diego both use Mazuri. They order it by the truckload for ALL their reptiles. The reptile zoo keepers at the SD Zoo, said thats the only food they trust, because it has been clinically tested, and proven safe and effective for tortoises.

The SD Zoo has 17 Galapagos tortoises ranging from 9 years old to 153, and that is what they choose to feed them all, along with other food items (grasses and leafy greens) to keep a high variety in their diet.

Andy_Panda

5 Year Member
Chico , California
well like i said . was nto trying to make them look bad just pointing out what i recently discovered and did not know were else to post it....

Dane

5 Year Member
Minneapolis, MN
Andy, this forum is not run by the government of North Korea, you don't have to worry about dissing a product.

I appreciate you sharing this. The numbers and ingredients don't lie. It doesn't matter if HUGE zoos use it or not- if somebody is going to feed commercial food to their torts (which is not ideal to begin with), it is obvious that Grassland Tortoise food is superior to Mazuri. The only reason that tortoises appear to like Mazuri better is because of the cane molasses that is added for sweetness.

chadk

10 Year Member!
For the big zoos, I'm sure price comes into it as well. I just picked up 25lbs of mazuri tort food from the feedstore down the road for $29.

Status
Not open for further replies.