Questions About the Baby

Randy the fuzz

Hello everyone! In the past I raised a very healthy sullied for 13 years but sadly had to give him to a sanctuary because of housing needs. I now live in Florida and got a baby Red foot close to a week ago. I maintain around 72% humidity, 83 degrees in the warm area, about 76 in the cool area where he seems to like to spend his time. I have hides in both areas and feed him different mixes each day. I was wondering if there is anything wrong with the temps? Should I add more coconut coir to get him closer to the light to warm it up? What types of plants should I grow in there with the little fella?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Basking should be around 95. Also be sure to keep top layer of substrate dry but still maintain a high humidity. RF are more prone to shell rot if kept on damp substrate. So keeping the top layer dry will help to prevent this.

Randy the fuzz

Thanks for the fast reply! So far I've been misting the walls quite heavy and the substrate barely. I have him in a 40 gallon aquarium though I will change the area soon. I have covering on all 4 walls so he can't see out and get confused. I do have to mist several times a day as the heat light kills the humidity.. I know the metal mesh top is the issue. I'd like to use foil or something with circles cut out for the lights but I dont know a good way to do it.. any advice is really appreciated

TYG3R

Thanks for the fast reply! So far I've been misting the walls quite heavy and the substrate barely. I have him in a 40 gallon aquarium though I will change the area soon. I have covering on all 4 walls so he can't see out and get confused. I do have to mist several times a day as the heat light kills the humidity.. I know the metal mesh top is the issue. I'd like to use foil or something with circles cut out for the lights but I dont know a good way to do it.. any advice is really appreciated

I used the foil tape for ducts, covered most of my screen top. Looks clean and can leave areas open for lights and heat lamps

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm going to slightly disagree with the above. Redfooted tortoises can be quite comfortable living in a habitat that is about 80F degrees all over the habitat. You don't need to make them a hot side and a cool side.

You'll find a bunch of good information about RF tortoises here: Tortoise Library

TerrapinStation

Detroit, Michigan
+ one on Yvonne's words of wisdom.

My RF loves his hide, he likes to stay in there and watch the world go by from the mud and mossy safety of his home.

I also just pour water over the substrate and mix it up by hand to keep humidity up. Moist Sphagnum moss also helps a lot.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Mine head for cover at anything about 88 degrees or so and love the lower eighties. Even upper 70s on occasion.
They dislike bright lights and high temperatures.

I keep mine outdoors now.
I've never seen mine bask.
But every day I DO see all of them flee from the heat.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Mine head for cover at anything about 88 degrees or so and love the lower eighties. Even upper 70s on occasion.
They dislike bright lights and high temperatures.

I keep mine outdoors now.
I've never seen mine bask.
But every day I DO see all of them flee from the heat.
Ditto to everything. These are my observations with my redfoot as well. But I only have the one....