Questions About Tortoise (terrarium, temperature, humidity, diet, lighting, sun, etc.)

Paula Hu

Location (City and/or State)
Southern California, Los Angeles
Hello! I'm Paula and I am very new to tortoises and I am trying my best to learn about them.
I've read many posts and articles online and I am kinda overwhelmed with all the information and stuff and I'm really confused and worried.
I have a lot of questions (sorry about that) and please bear with me???
I will be getting a tortoise soon ???(I'm not sure about the species yet but it's very likely to be a sulcata or leopard.) and I want to get everything prepared before it comes.

Questions!
1. I've read many posts about care for adult tortoise and baby tortoises and I'm really confused?. What age do you consider the tortoise to be an adult and how young are they to be considered as babies?

2. I know that the diet for tortoise should have as much variety as possible, but I'm still worried if they eat something that might cause them harm. What are some food they should not be eating? What are some food that would be appropriate for them to eat constantly?

3. Lighting is the part I am most worried about. I live in an area that is very sunny (most of the time) so I can provide them pretty much with the sun they need. So would a UV light still be very needed? I probably should still get one just in case tho. I've read that there are more light like day lights, night lights, uvb, uva, etc. and its really kinda overwhelming?. And I don't even know about the watts (sorry I'm really dumb). What are the lights that I would need, can you provide a link to UV lights and other lights if possible?(sorry I'm asking too much because I have no idea how to get all the tools and everything)

4. During night time, it should be light off. Would I need to buy a heat pad to put under the terrarium hide out area to maintain the heat without the light?

5. I know for reptiles they need a warm side and cold side. Just to make sure that the hide out area is supposed to be warm and other areas are supposed to be cold. Does the water area need to be warm?

6. At lease how long / much of sunlight is required per day for a tortoise?

7. I've read that in the terrarium there should be some plants in it, should it be real plants or fake plants? If it is real plants then it would be very likely for tortoises to chew on them but it would also be very likely for it to chew on fake plants. What plants (species) should I be putting in there? Would it be fine if they chew on it?

8. When I get my tortoise I am planning on having it sun bath in my back yard for around 45 min everyday and I am a little worried. I won't know if they are getting too hot. So would tortoises know if they are getting too hot and will they go in the shade area on their own? (I will have shades available for it) Also refers to when they are in the terrarium, I will provide a sun bathing area with a UV light (when there is not enough sun) for them to get the sun they need. Will they know if they have enough and won't over cook them self?

9. Will I have to clean them? Because I've read that tortoises will bath themself in the water bowl. Is that true? I probably would have to clean them too, basically how do I clean them. With a toothbrush and do I have to add anything like soap or just pure water.

10. When I have my tortoise, I would like to hangout with it and I'm worried if I have it outside the terrarium too long it would be bad for them. I've read that as long as the room temperature is above 68 degrees it will be fine. I am not completely believing this and what is the maximum time length that it can be out?

11. When I receive my tortoise from the pet store, will I have to bring it to a vet for a check up to make sure if it is healthy and everything?

12. Is it better for the tank to be opened from the top or from the front?

13. What bedding is recommended for a tortoise? And how much would I be needing for a 40 gallon tank?

14. What is the temperature range on the warm side and cold side? What is the humidity range?

15. The tortoise I get will be the size of a palm, few months old. How often should I be feeding it? How much should I feed it every time? And it will be growing bigger and how do I know when to increase the amount of food I give? I don't know when it is hungry. After feeding it is there any thing else to do? Because I know for snakes after feeding it you gotta let them chill for 2 hours. Is there anything to pay attention after feeding a tortoise?

16. On average how often should I clean the terrarium? Like changing the bedding, cleaning the tank. How do I clean its poop?

17. How many thermometer should I have in the terrarium?

(ahh I'm asking so much questions, really sorry???)

I promise this is the last thing, please bare with me???

This is my terrarium set up plan:
40 gallon aquarium tank
2-3 hide out
2 plants (if safe)
water bowl
food bowl
sun bath area
UV light
bedding (not decided)
1 Humidity measure (I don't know what it is called)
2 thermometer

Is this good enough for the tortoise? Please tell me if I am missing something or something is wrong???

Thank you for reading this, I know I am really annoying with all this questions but I just want to make sure I can provide my tortoise with a safe place to live in. I don't want to cause any harm to my tortoise because of a mistake I made. Really sorry???

Thank you
Paula Hu

Last edited:

Thomas tortoise

Arkansas
First of all. Yes your tortoise will find shade outside on its own if you have shade available. Second of all. I noticed you said you will get your tortoise from the pet store. Just a little heads up pet stores usually take really bad care of their tortoise and they also usually give you bad advise and they will not admit that they don't know anything about tortoises. Third. There is a app called the tortoise table and you can type whatever plant name into it and it will tell you if your tortoise can eat it. The humidity for a sulcata should be 80%. And You do need to bathe your baby tortoise every other day with just pure water. And you need a completely closed enclosure if you are getting a sulcata tortoise. (I don't know about leopards) a completely closed enclosure will hold the right humidity if there is not enough humidity then mist the enclosure lightly. Keep the lights in the enclosure cause if they are not then it will make a chimney effect and draw the humidity up and out! I hope this helps!? that is all I can answer hopefully the real awesome tortoise owners give you some advise!

Paula Hu

First of all. Yes your tortoise will find shade outside on its own if you have shade available. Second of all. I noticed you said you will get your tortoise from the pet store. Just a little heads up pet stores usually take really bad care of their tortoise and they also usually give you bad advise and they will not admit that they don't know anything about tortoises. Third. There is a app called the tortoise table and you can type whatever plant name into it and it will tell you if your tortoise can eat it. The humidity for a sulcata should be 80%. And You do need to bathe your baby tortoise every other day with just pure water. And you need a completely closed enclosure if you are getting a sulcata tortoise. (I don't know about leopards) a completely closed enclosure will hold the right humidity if there is not enough humidity then mist the enclosure lightly. Keep the lights in the enclosure cause if they are not then it will make a chimney effect and draw the humidity up and out! I hope this helps!? that is all I can answer hopefully the real awesome tortoise owners give you some advise!
Thanks for all the advice! It really helped me figure some things out! By a completely closed enclosure do you mean that I am not allowed to take it outside? Sorry I'm bad at comprehending. Thanks for all the advice!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello! I'm Paula and I am very new to tortoises and I am trying my best to learn about them.
I've read many posts and articles online and I am kinda overwhelmed with all the information and stuff and I'm really confused and worried.
I have a lot of questions (sorry about that) and please bear with me???
I will be getting a tortoise soon ???(I'm not sure about the species yet but it's very likely to be a sulcata or leopard.) and I want to get everything prepared before it comes.

Questions!
1. I've read many posts about care for adult tortoise and baby tortoises and I'm really confused?. What age do you consider the tortoise to be an adult and how young are they to be considered as babies?

2. I know that the diet for tortoise should have as much variety as possible, but I'm still worried if they eat something that might cause them harm. What are some food they should not be eating? What are some food that would be appropriate for them to eat constantly?

3. Lighting is the part I am most worried about. I live in an area that is very sunny (most of the time) so I can provide them pretty much with the sun they need. So would a UV light still be very needed? I probably should still get one just in case tho. I've read that there are more light like day lights, night lights, uvb, uva, etc. and its really kinda overwhelming?. And I don't even know about the watts (sorry I'm really dumb). What are the lights that I would need, can you provide a link to UV lights and other lights if possible?(sorry I'm asking too much because I have no idea how to get all the tools and everything)

4. During night time, it should be light off. Would I need to buy a heat pad to put under the terrarium hide out area to maintain the heat without the light?

5. I know for reptiles they need a warm side and cold side. Just to make sure that the hide out area is supposed to be warm and other areas are supposed to be cold. Does the water area need to be warm?

6. At lease how long / much of sunlight is required per day for a tortoise?

7. I've read that in the terrarium there should be some plants in it, should it be real plants or fake plants? If it is real plants then it would be very likely for tortoises to chew on them but it would also be very likely for it to chew on fake plants. What plants (species) should I be putting in there? Would it be fine if they chew on it?

8. When I get my tortoise I am planning on having it sun bath in my back yard for around 45 min everyday and I am a little worried. I won't know if they are getting too hot. So would tortoises know if they are getting too hot and will they go in the shade area on their own? (I will have shades available for it) Also refers to when they are in the terrarium, I will provide a sun bathing area with a UV light (when there is not enough sun) for them to get the sun they need. Will they know if they have enough and won't over cook them self?

9. Will I have to clean them? Because I've read that tortoises will bath themself in the water bowl. Is that true? I probably would have to clean them too, basically how do I clean them. With a toothbrush and do I have to add anything like soap or just pure water.

10. When I have my tortoise, I would like to hangout with it and I'm worried if I have it outside the terrarium too long it would be bad for them. I've read that as long as the room temperature is above 68 degrees it will be fine. I am not completely believing this and what is the maximum time length that it can be out?

11. When I receive my tortoise from the pet store, will I have to bring it to a vet for a check up to make sure if it is healthy and everything?

12. Is it better for the tank to be opened from the top or from the front?

13. What bedding is recommended for a tortoise? And how much would I be needing for a 40 gallon tank?

14. What is the temperature range on the warm side and cold side? What is the humidity range?

15. The tortoise I get will be the size of a palm, few months old. How often should I be feeding it? How much should I feed it every time? And it will be growing bigger and how do I know when to increase the amount of food I give? I don't know when it is hungry. After feeding it is there any thing else to do? Because I know for snakes after feeding it you gotta let them chill for 2 hours. Is there anything to pay attention after feeding a tortoise?

16. On average how often should I clean the terrarium? Like changing the bedding, cleaning the tank. How do I clean its poop?

17. How many thermometer should I have in the terrarium?

(ahh I'm asking so much questions, really sorry???)

I promise this is the last thing, please bare with me???

This is my terrarium set up plan:
40 gallon aquarium tank
2-3 hide out
2 plants (if safe)
water bowl
food bowl
sun bath area
UV light
bedding (not decided)
1 Humidity measure (I don't know what it is called)
2 thermometer

Is this good enough for the tortoise? Please tell me if I am missing something or something is wrong???

Thank you for reading this, I know I am really annoying with all this questions but I just want to make sure I can provide my tortoise with a safe place to live in. I don't want to cause any harm to my tortoise because of a mistake I made. Really sorry???

Thank you
Paula Hu
Hi Paula! Take a deep breath... aaaaaaannnndddd release it...

Almost all of your questions are answered right here in this care sheet. Disregard all of the contradictory and wrong info that you've been getting previously and read this with a fresh open mind. Then read it again a time or two.

After reading this, come back and ask about about anything that is not clear, or anything you are not sure about. Stay out of the pet shop. Don't ask them for care advice, don't buy their wrong products, and whatever you do, don't buy a tortoise there. That will result in an expensive and heart wrenching lesson.

We will help you sort through all this, get it right the first time, and have a happy enjoyable tortoise experience.

Paula Hu

Hi Paula! Take a deep breath... aaaaaaannnndddd release it...

Almost all of your questions are answered right here in this care sheet. Disregard all of the contradictory and wrong info that you've been getting previously and read this with a fresh open mind. Then read it again a time or two.

After reading this, come back and ask about about anything that is not clear, or anything you are not sure about. Stay out of the pet shop. Don't ask them for care advice, don't buy their wrong products, and whatever you do, don't buy a tortoise there. That will result in an expensive and heart wrenching lesson.

We will help you sort through all this, get it right the first time, and have a happy enjoyable tortoise experience.
Thank youuuuu!!!!!! Thanks for this care sheet. Super helpfulll!!!!???

Thomas tortoise

Arkansas
Thanks for all the advice! It really helped me figure some things out! By a completely closed enclosure do you mean that I am not allowed to take it outside? Sorry I'm bad at comprehending. Thanks for all the advice!
A completely closed chamber does not mean. ( don't take it outside) you can still take him out side a lot!?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
A completely closed chamber does not mean. ( don't take it outside) you can still take him out side a lot!?
You should add that babies should only have short supervised time outside in a safe enclosure.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That should be in toms care sheet!?
From the care sheet:

"Outdoor Enclosures:
This is a MUST in my opinion. Tortoises are solar powered, need lots of walking room, and benefit greatly from some time in the great outdoors. With hatchlings I start with short excursions of only an hour a day, followed by a soak on the way in. As they gain size, I like to leave them out longer and longer each day, weather permitting, until they eventually live outside full time with a heated night box of some sort, where climate allows."