Questions and thinking about oxalic acid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
OK, oxalic acid is a huge debate right now. Some keepers avoid anything that has oxalic acid, others don't worry about it. I am wondering what we really KNOW about it as it applies to tortoises.

Like many of us, I have seen scary facts, secondhand facts, conflicting facts, and more. Hopefully, we can clear up some of it. Here are some of the things I have read (I do not know that they are all absolutely TRUE, however)...

1. Oxalic acid binds with the available calcium in a foodstuff. The more oxalic acid, the less available calcium. This is the foundational fact- we know this to be true.

1a. Vitamin A and good hydration offsets the effects of the acid. See also point 3.

2. Oxalic acid does not seem to interfere with calcium intake from other foods, which suggests that a dash of calcium can offset the effect.

3. Oxalic acid is one element in the formation of bladder stones. Other elements include too little vitamin A and D, too much calcium, too little water/humidity/hydration, or too much calcium. Many experts think that dehydration is the key element- concentrating the minerals in the blood and urine.

3a. Bladder stones are often found in wild tortoises. Wild torts also are known to eat plants that are considered dangerously high in oxalic acid (to the point of being considered toxic to humans). Is the oxalic acid responsible for the stones, or is dehydration? A lot of wild torts are also known to skirting the edge of dehydration for quite a bit of the year.

4. Lists of oxalic acid tend to be based on an old USDA report, other newer studies have found different results- but they sometimes disagree with each other.

4a. One issue is that the soil a plant is raised in makes a difference, the age and exact part of the plant makes a difference, and how the plant is treated, cooked, or processed makes a difference. To claim, for example, that spinach has 0.95mg per 100 g of food is an oversimplification- are we talking baby leaves, freshly picked stuff, 'older' leaves in a grocery store?

5. Some sites report that oxalic acid is not a problem unless it is 'activated' by cooking.

So....

There are two main things we blame oxalic acid for- stealing calcium and contributing to soft shell, and for bladder stones. Are there other concerns I am missing?

I have seen no reports for tortoises or humans that links oxalic acid to calcium deficiencies. I doubt this is a concern in a varied diet with a little calcium supplementation.

That mostly leaves the issue of stones. Dr. Mader ("Reptile Medicine and Surgery") thinks that hydration is the key factor here, and admits that we do not know exactly how stones are formed in tortoises. Oxalic acid and stone formation in humans seems tricky as well- some sites blaming it, other sites saying there are other issues that are more important. Our dietitian at work does not think it is a big enough deal to worry about for our clients.

My gut feeling is that we are making this a bigger deal than we need to. If we can eat it, the torts can eat it. If we don't eat much of it (as in parsley, watercress or rhubarb), they should not get much of it. A small pinch of calcium powder acts as insurance with most meals.

I think the bigger, more important issues are the basics (in no order):
- good hydration (water, water content in food, humidity, etc. depending on the species)
- vitamins A and D
- overall Ca: P ratio of about 2 or 3:1 over time
- right temps
- good diet with variety

Thoughts, corrections, clarifications, discussion?????

M

Maggie Cummings

I agree with your gut feeling that we make too much of it. Hydration is the key and it's not as easy to keep a tortoise hydrated as we think. I had a 3 year old Gopherus agassizii who got a slight URTI so I took her off to the Vet and my Vet looked at her and said, "she is dehydrated"! Yet I soaked her daily. So just because we soak them does not mean they drink and I disagree with the thinking that they soak any liquid in thru there cloaca. I recently was involved in a discussion concerning spinach and not feeding it...I do feed spinach and other foods that have a high oxalic content, but I also make sure my animals are well hydrated and I give them sub qfluids if I think they look dehydrated...

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
I also agree with Madkins in that it is a variety of things. I think not only is it possibly what he listed but whether an animal is predisposed to getting bladder stones or having a decrease in essential vitamins and mineral. But I think the age and size of the tort comes into play. In the wild they eat and walk and eat. They eat what is available green, dry you name it. A bite here a bite there. But in captivity most of the keepers set down food for the torts. So they eat what is given too them. Even the torts that are allowed to graze have foods planted for them and kept green most of the time they are grazing. Some plants have nutrients at one level at their peak and another when they are dry. Some intensify others dissipate. This is one I don’t think there is truly ever going to be an answer on. But I do think Hydration is one big key. Though for my hatchlings I give foods lower in the toxic ingredients I have found such as oxalic acid, tannins, purines, etc. Hopefully this will give them a leg up. I am now adding TNT to their diet especially in the winter. I am also grinding hibiscus flowers, grape leaves and mulberry leaves for winter use

S

stells

NOBODY has said don't hydrate your tortoise because Oxalic acid is the only factor in the production of stone...

I was involved in the spinach discussion... i choose not to feed it.... that does not make me wrong... and makes nobody else wrong for feeding it... but it is what i do with my tortoises... remember no two tortoise keepers... keep them the same

Oxalic acid is a FACTOR in stones... as is hydration... and i will keep on giving MY advice based on My experience... as will others with theirs...

I don't think that making people aware of all factors is a bad thing...

I tell people not to feed Dandelion more than once or twice a week... due to the fact they contain moderate amounts of Oxalic acid and are also a Diurectic.. so you get both factors with the one plant... maybe i am over cautious but if i can keep my tortoises hydrated and watch there Oxalic intake then that is what i will do... i have experienced a stone with a tortoise that was soaked daily had access to water 24/7 and that i regularly saw drink...

I have changed my diet since that... and kept up my soaking regime... with no more problems... that says enough for me

Wild tortoises... they are going to come across Oxalic acid with some of their food items... and they are going to not have the soakings we provide... so yes they are going to produce stones...

Humans... we are built slightly differently to tortoises... it doesn't take days for my food to pass through me... and i certainly don't have a shell on my back

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Kelly: I think you're being too sensitive here. I don't think anyone was pointing fingers at you personally. When I read what he had to say, your stone experience didn't even enter my mind. Madkins has opened the discussion, giving points that he has read about. I think the object was to open a discussion and hear what others have to say on the subject. I think it would be a good idea for your to repeat your stone experience here in this thread for others to read...that way we have it all in one place.

This is a really good subject for everyone to become familiar with. Thanks for starting it.

Yvonne

M

Maggie Cummings

I just reread all the posts here and I don't anything was pointed at her. I agree with Yvonne, Kelly you are being too sensitive.
I too am glad this subject came up as it is always great to get all the different views from other keepers.
Because of where I live dandelions grow in profusion here and I feed my bigger Sulcata them daily along with the graze he's on, and I also collect grape leafs and mulberry leafs for him and feed that daily. I have 2 Rose of Sharon bushes for him and I harvest the flowers and feed him those daily as a treat. The people in the produce dept save their trimmings for me so my grazers get the aforementioned food and also get grocery store greens daily.
But soon the dandelions will stop growing and obviously I will stop feeding him them. Everything I have read has dandelions on the good side.
I have been feeding this way for the 3.5 years that I have lived here and Bob and the other tortoises that I feed dandelions to seem outwardly healthy. None have had to go to the Dr for anything.
I don't understand why they shouldn't be fed daily. Maybe Kelly would explain that to us?

S

stells

I wasn't being sensitive... i was just merely stated my view on it :D

Dandelions... i used to feed these daily... after one of mine produced a stone... knowing i had regularly seen her drink... i watched what she ate out of a variety of weeds at every feeding... daily she was picking out the Dandelion... so i stopped feeding them so often for reasons in my first post on this thread... and have since had no problems with any of my tortoises... again my own experience... which is what these forums are about... sharing experiences ;)

M

Maggie Cummings

stells said:
I wasn't being sensitive... i was just merely stated my view on it :D

Dandelions... i used to feed these daily... after one of mine produced a stone... knowing i had regularly seen her drink... i watched what she ate out of a variety of weeds at every feeding... daily she was picking out the Dandelion... so i stopped feeding them so often for reasons in my first post on this thread... and have since had no problems with any of my tortoises... again my own experience... which is what these forums are about... sharing experiences ;)

Ok thanks for the come back...

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
My intention for this discussion was not based on any one thread, but rather on the MANY threads where the phrase 'but it is high in oxalic acid' pops up.

Stells: According to my sources (elook.org), dandelion has 0.02mg of oxalic acid per 100grams of food- that is a pretty low value. Do you have a source that lists it as higher?

Maggie: I agree that soaking is probably only a small part of the hydration issue. It reminds me of an episode of 'Good Eats' with Alton Brown (Food Network), where he addresses washing mushrooms. The tradition is that you scrub mushrooms, but do not wash them, because they soak up the water. So, he weighed a bunch, washed them, dried/drained them, and reweighed them (and the collected water)- and discovered that they absorbed virtually nothing.

I'd be willing to bet that careful measurements of soaking tortoises would show that soaks don't change things much- but especially for grassland species that eat fairly dry foods, it may help enough.

A quick note on hard research vs. experience vs. theory... I know different people look at each of these in different ways- often emphasizing some and scoffing at others. I think it is important to know that each of these have strengths and weaknesses.

My goal with this thread is to try to combine these elements to come up with a simple policy or philosophy or a set of guidelines.

So... any other thoughts?

katesgoey

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Great Thread/Discussion!!

I am not as experienced as most of you but a distinguishing point is those tortoises raised outdoors with more free grazing access to a variety of plants than those more strictly enclosed and "hand" fed. My clarifying question would be whether there is a distinction to be made between the two in this topic. In other words - are you all discussing outdoor grazed tortoises? I also wonder if stones are partially a hereditary question and not solely based on diet??

BlackRose15

5 Year Member
If we don't eat abundant of it (as in parsley, watercress or rhubarb), they should not get abundant of it. A baby compression of calcium crumb acts as allowance with a lot of meals.

M

Maggie Cummings

I want to take this opportunity to say this quickly...I had a Gopherus agassizii who was 4 years old. I soaked her every other day, she came down with an URTI so I took her to the Vet and the first thing the Vet said was...Oh my, she is dehydrated! Yet she was soaked regularly. So, I am of a thought that we need to rethink this soaking thing...the tortoise died less then 3 weeks later BTW...
I am not sure soaking does much good.

Now...I have always fed in a way that satisfies me. I don't ever look up the vitamin ratio or the calcium ratio of anything. I try my best to feed a wide variety of food. But some stuff I feed daily grape leafs and dandelions are 2 that I am feeding daily right now. But soon both the grape leafs and the weeds will be gone and I will feed something else. When I say I feed those daily, they aren't the only things I feed...as an example...today my grazers got the trimmings from the produce dept...red leaf and green leaf lettuces, kale, collard, grape leafs, dandelions, some weed I don't know and hibiscus blooms and leafs. Rose petals and leafs and blackberry leafs, and they grazed all day.
Tomorrow they will get about the same thing, but I'm probably not going to hunt for dandelions or grape leafs. I think that variety is the key and I think that we over think our husbandry...I am not sure if this post helps anyone, but my animals look and act healthy.

I personally think that no matter what we feed variety is the key, that's the most important thing.

katesgoey

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
maggie3fan said:
I want to take this opportunity to say this quickly...I had a Gopherus agassizii who was 4 years old. I soaked her every other day, she came down with an URTI so I took her to the Vet and the first thing the Vet said was...Oh my, she is dehydrated! Yet she was soaked regularly. So, I am of a thought that we need to rethink this soaking thing...the tortoise died less then 3 weeks later BTW...
I am not sure soaking does much good.

Now...I have always fed in a way that satisfies me. I don't ever look up the vitamin ratio or the calcium ratio of anything. I try my best to feed a wide variety of food. But some stuff I feed daily grape leafs and dandelions are 2 that I am feeding daily right now. But soon both the grape leafs and the weeds will be gone and I will feed something else. When I say I feed those daily, they aren't the only things I feed...as an example...today my grazers got the trimmings from the produce dept...red leaf and green leaf lettuces, kale, collard, grape leafs, dandelions, some weed I don't know and hibiscus blooms and leafs. Rose petals and leafs and blackberry leafs, and they grazed all day.
Tomorrow they will get about the same thing, but I'm probably not going to hunt for dandelions or grape leafs. I think that variety is the key and I think that we over think our husbandry...I am not sure if this post helps anyone, but my animals look and act healthy.

I personally think that no matter what we feed variety is the key, that's the most important thing.

I think it helps. Common sense is always refreshing. Thanks!

S

stells

Madkins007 said:
My intention for this discussion was not based on any one thread, but rather on the MANY threads where the phrase 'but it is high in oxalic acid' pops up.

Stells: According to my sources (elook.org), dandelion has 0.02mg of oxalic acid per 100grams of food- that is a pretty low value. Do you have a source that lists it as higher?

Maggie: I agree that soaking is probably only a small part of the hydration issue. It reminds me of an episode of 'Good Eats' with Alton Brown (Food Network), where he addresses washing mushrooms. The tradition is that you scrub mushrooms, but do not wash them, because they soak up the water. So, he weighed a bunch, washed them, dried/drained them, and reweighed them (and the collected water)- and discovered that they absorbed virtually nothing.

I'd be willing to bet that careful measurements of soaking tortoises would show that soaks don't change things much- but especially for grassland species that eat fairly dry foods, it may help enough.

A quick note on hard research vs. experience vs. theory... I know different people look at each of these in different ways- often emphasizing some and scoffing at others. I think it is important to know that each of these have strengths and weaknesses.

My goal with this thread is to try to combine these elements to come up with a simple policy or philosophy or a set of guidelines.

So... any other thoughts?

My source is a person not an internet page... who went to university and studied plants/weeds etc... can you tell me when this list you use was comprised... which part of the plant did they take those readings from... as different parts of the plants contain different levels of Oxalic acid... the stalks being worse... as said they are also a diurectic... and used as a natural way to relieve water retention....in that case and with others views on dehydration being the cause... shouldn't this be where common sense comes into play???

I do still feed them... just not on a daily basis and i do believe they are a good part of a varied diet.... again this is not somebody saying NEVER feed your tortoise Dandelions.... variety is the key that is something i agree with... there are foods with an Oxalic content i feed but those are fed on occassion and not all the time.... then there are the ones i never feed such as the Spinach...

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Kelly- elook.org is based on the USDA database, and is measuring the leaves. I'd love to find a good reference for other parts, and other common non-food plants.

Madortoise

5 Year Member
Madkins or Kelly,
How does oxalic acid content differ in dandelion leaves vs. flower?
Is it bad to give a 4 yo DT a 3-5 flowers everyday? Mine chomps on the leaves when she feels like it but I have to vend the stems for her so she can reach the flower. It's been our routine this summer every morning when I put her outside.

S

stells

Its a shame its only based on the content of the leaves... when the variation within the plant can be so much...

If you are feeding the flowers all i will say is take the stalk off... I still wouldn't feed everyday... but some people are going to say thats fine.... its up to you to read the info given out and decide for yourself... i would feed twice a week at most ;)

M

Maggie Cummings

Yes, this 'some people' feeds the dandelion flowers and leafs daily. I also feed a wide variety of other healthy stuff not just dandelions, I also keep my tortoises well hydrated. Soon the dandelions will be gone from here and I will feed something else daily.
I have to go run some errands now, but I just recently read something that showed that dandelions are low in oxalic acid. Most tortoise research calls on dandelions to be one of the good foods.
Here again, this is one of those subjects that experienced people feel strongly about and I am sure that we won't change our minds about it either. It's like Mazuri or not, UVB or not. We are passionate in our opinions...:)

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Few flowers have much oxalic acid, and considering that dandelion flowers are considered edible for humans as well, I doubt they have much.

It would be nice to have a better database of nutrients and plants, but for crying out loud- can you imagine what that would look like? Listing different parts of plants, and in many cases, even different ages or treatments?

Just another quick note- red and white clover is considered HIGH in oxalic acid (the German name for the plant comes from the acid content), but it shows up on 'safe' lists all of the time. Makes me wonder how many other garden or yard plants are high in it but still on the lists.

Anyone got a couple hundred torts sitting around we can experiment with? (we'd need a couple of test groups and a control, so the more the merrier!)
:shy:

Status
Not open for further replies.