Questions with enclosure

NickFromChicago

Location (City and/or State)
Illinois
Hey everyone, I picked up this plastic 4x2 enclosure at a reptile expo the other week, I've been setting it up, I'm just abit worried because for the powersun bulb, I installed a ceramic socket up top, and I'm just freaking out that it might be too much heat and like melt the plastic? Can anyone put my worries to rest, please...hopefully lol

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I would go with a fluorescent UVB and a radiant heat panel. I have found that the ballast on the fluorescent bulb keeps the daytime temperature right where it should be, and when that goes off at night, the RHP's temperature sensor tells it to keep the temp up at night.

NickFromChicago

Illinois
I would go with a fluorescent UVB and a radiant heat panel. I have found that the ballast on the fluorescent bulb keeps the daytime temperature right where it should be, and when that goes off at night, the RHP's temperature sensor tells it to keep the temp up at night.
I have 1 RHP on the left side, and what I did was removed the ceramic socket from the top, and installed a spotlight light fixture on the back, so it would angle the bulb down, after having my 100w night bulb on through the night, I noticed that the top of the enclosure, directly above the bulb, is still taking alot of heat. So with now remembering that heat rises, I'm afraid that wont work either, do you think one 28watt RHP will do the trick at night? Or should I buy another one? My rooms temp stays in the 70s, usually the lower 70s

NickFromChicago

Illinois
Whats the temperature?
The temp with the ceramic socket and the powersun was at 115 degrees about, directly under, so where all the heat was condensing above, I'm sure was alot hotter, I believe I read that the pvc plastic can withstand around 200 degrees...I've also read that surpassing the limit can cause the plastic to warp + release toxic gas