Setting up Xmas tree bin, need help.

Mandysaur

Location (City and/or State)
Austin, Texas
I have a large Xmas tree bin I am setting up for a hatchling sulcata. I have coco coir bricks and reptibark mixed and in the bottom. It is about 3 inches deep. I tried setting a ceramic heater on one of the lid holes and it started to melt the plastic. I think it was a 65watt. I think I put to much water since I can see a puddle in a corner. Here are my questions based on above info.
1. Is my substrate too deep?
2. What wattage won’t melt the plastic or do I need to reinforce it somehow?
3. Should I let it dry on it’s own or try to drain the puddle? (No tort in there yet)
4. Is the warm side also the humid side? 90 degrees and 80% humidity on the warm side, dryer and cooler on the other side but not below 80 right?
5. Does the hideout and food dishes go on the cooler side or warmer side?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The CHE should not touch the plastic. It should be down BELOW the lid. This picture shows a light rather than a CHE, but you can see what I mean about "down below the lid."

light aa.jpg light bb.jpg

Also, what wattage is your CHE? Maybe it's too big???

Three or four inches it a good depth for the substrate.

I like to use the 100 watt CHE and I wrap the edges of the hole with kitchen foil

Being too wet is ok for the substrate. I always keep my babies on wet substrate

There shouldn't be a hot side/cool side with babies. I strive for an overall temperature of 80-85F degrees all over the whole enclosure

For my baby enclosures, the food is on one side wall and the water is in a corner. The hiding places are at the back in a corner and up against a wall.

Mandysaur

Austin, Texas
The CHE should not touch the plastic. It should be down BELOW the lid. This picture shows a light rather than a CHE, but you can see what I mean about "down below the lid."

View attachment 250806 View attachment 250807

Also, what wattage is your CHE? Maybe it's too big???

Three or four inches it a good depth for the substrate.

I like to use the 100 watt CHE and I wrap the edges of the hole with kitchen foil

Being too wet is ok for the substrate. I always keep my babies on wet substrate

There shouldn't be a hot side/cool side with babies. I strive for an overall temperature of 80-85F degrees all over the whole enclosure

For my baby enclosures, the food is on one side wall and the water is in a corner. The hiding places are at the back in a corner and up against a wall.

Do you use the foil to secure the light or is the hole cut just enough to hold it in place?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The hole is just big enough so not much air gets by the fixture. Then the edges of the hole is wrapped with foil.