Christmas Tree Storage Bin by Iris

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Every year I swear there aren't going to be any indoor habitats and every year I have indoor habitats. I just can't seem to get around it. I built some nice tort tables in the outdoor sheds, and I DO use them, but there still ends up to be two or more indoors also.

So this year I already had one in the laundry room with a yearling YF in it and one on the kitchen table with 4 yearling three toe box turtles in it. Then I received three brand new hatchling desert tortoises. Yipes! Another indoor habitat??? I don't think so.

I got out one of my Christmas tree bins and measured across the middle, then cut a piece of plywood to fit. I set it up on a bench against the wall in the kitchen with the baby box turtles on one side and the new CDT on the other. I have a heat source on either end (I use black lights, but you can use CHE) and a fluorescent tube across the middle. I was able to get rid of the enclosure on the table, and it turned out pretty darned good.

First I put down a sheet of plastic film, then the light stand then the bin. I brought the film up over the back .The film covers the sides and back and is stapled to the wood across the top that the lights hang from. I cut to fit another piece of film to cover the opening on the front, the opening I flip up to administer to the inside.

Christmas tree bin aa.jpg christmas tree bin bb.jpg christmas tree bin cc.jpg christmas tree bin dd.jpg

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
Very creative! Congrats on the new additions...

ERoss

Northern California
So creative! Will they eat succulents? I see them in one of your enclosures. I know that aloe and cactus pads are okay but wasn't sure what others are good?