Christmas Tree Storage Bin/Pop Up Greenhouse Enclosure

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I messed up. The Christmas tree bin is 4.5x2= so I looked for a pop up green house that that would fit inside, and ordered a 6'x3' GH. Well, folks, imagining 6'x3' and actually seeing the thing in my reptile room left a whole lot to be desired. 6'x3' is WAY big!!. In order to make it fit in the room I had to jury rig some planks and cinder blocks for it to sit on. Then I put my bin and it's light rack inside and the GH is just way too big. There are too many open spaces where cool air will be going inside.

I'm still in engineering mode, so I might be able to see my way clear to make it work, but my guess is I'm going to have to bite the bullet and buy a smaller GH.

Christmas Tree bin-pop up GH a.jpgchristmas tree bin-pop up GH b.jpgChristmas Tree Bin-pop up GH c.jpg

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I was thinking it'd be fairly easy to shorten the greenhouse, but I guess you prob want it narrower as well?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I was thinking it'd be fairly easy to shorten the greenhouse, but I guess you prob want it narrower as well?
Ah, great minds. . . We've done that before, you and I. Had the same idea. . . The tubes are metal, so I was thinking hack saw. The width is probably ok. And shortening the length would be easy peasy!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Why not just use the GH on it's own? They make great closed chambers as is. Just add a trap or piece of plastic for the floor and tape it up around the outside of GH. Lights/heat can all hang from the GH frame. I used clothes line rope to tie them up or to string across from one side to the other and then hung light from it.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I'd use a tubing cutter instead of a hacksaw easier to make a clean cut, but if you have a hacksaw it'd work

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'd use a tubing cutter instead of a hacksaw easier to make a clean cut, but if you have a hacksaw it'd work

I think there might be a tube cutter in my garage. My husband had at least one of every kind of tool ever made. I'll see if I can find it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Why not just use the GH on it's own? They make great closed chambers as is. Just add a trap or piece of plastic for the floor and tape it up around the outside of GH. Lights/heat can all hang from the GH frame. I used clothes line rope to tie them up or to string across from one side to the other and then hung light from it.
It's not closed on the bottom. Since the set up is in my reptile room, actually a bedroom with wall-to-wall carpet, and the walls tuck under and just fold in place. I'd hate for any leakage to reach the floor.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It's not closed on the bottom. Since the set up is in my reptile room, actually a bedroom with wall-to-wall carpet, and the walls tuck under and just fold in place. I'd hate for any leakage to reach the floor.
That's why I used a tarp as the floor. Had it bigger then the GH and taped the ends up around the outside of GH walls. The only time this didn't work was with my Russian. I used just plastic with him and he kept digging and made holes. The other times were with my Leopards and never leaked.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I am doing the same as my sister except...I am covering a tort table with the greenhouse...and my neighbor, the welder, is coming this week end to cut it to size...I have picture, but no way to download them. Someday

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
LOL didn't know that. Well you both got tortoises in you blood one way or the other...

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
LOL didn't know that. Well you both got tortoises in you blood one way or the other...
Not me really...I became disabled and couldn't drive truck anymore, so while I was getting surgery and evaluated by WComp shrinks and recuperating, I helped her do home inspections and scoop poop etc. so when I couldn't go back to work I had to do something besides drugs...so tortoise's it was. I found I was fairly good with the sick or disabled or lame or BABIES (tortoises that is). I fell right in with the snake lovers or weirdos with metal stuck in faces, dragons, and motorcycles. With the lone of exception of motorcycles, she was as straitlaced as they come...lol...and I really didn't want to go up to be like her...so I went the other way...literally84191616_611348029689408_2692242366223351808_n.jpg

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
1935 Ford Phaeton...bluish turquoise...not to make a comparison but you know how they always say that if you see one rat that means that there's 5,000 that you didn't see. So I'm thinking about little miss innocent if if she did two things that she that she was caught at..her dad's car to go joyride, and not just an ordinary car either. She acts so innocent all these years.. I'm thinking that she did a whole bunch of crap that she never got caught for and she smokes cigarettes too I think. I think she also had a key made for that car too, I think. Imagine the cleverness...I would never have thought of that. She was sneaky and rowdy in her own way I guess. She's so old now I bet she can't even remember some of the things she did...lol