questions

lawlessangel76

Location (City and/or State)
Oldsmar,fl
can baby redfoots eat climbing day flower(commelina diffusa)I was taking malakai out for some sun time and she wandered over to some weeds and started nibbling them,so I opened my plant identifier app and it said it was climbing day flower,she is about 4 months old,she eats romaine lettuce,mustard & turnip greens,mushrooms,hibiscus,turk's cap(Texas mallow)pineapple,apples,grapes,blackberries,watercress,dandelion greens from whole foods(not the weeds growing in the yard...is there a difference?)kale,bell peppers,yellow squash,zucchini,red leaf lettuce,I also have a 8 year old sulcata,but he already eats Bahia grass and weeds,won't give a 2nd thought to hay,I've soaked it many of things water,carrot juice,carrot & sweet potato baby food,juice from a piece of watermelon,I've tried for about a year,I've listened to plenty of experts,but again who can you truly trust,everyone raising tortoises has something to say and they think their way is the best,and forget asking tortoise groups on Facebook,these people just verbally rip you apart like your a terrorist!I also have a 23 year old red eared slider raised her since she was a hatchling and a 1 year old 3 striped mud turtle,the red ear & sulcata live outside,the redfoot & mud turtle live inside,the redfoot has a 75 watt basking light,UVB light and a ceramic heat emitter,humidity is at 80% and temp is 78°on cool side and 90° on warm side,she has organic topsoil,water & food dish,little fake plants to hide in,I'm sorry so long but besides the weed question is there anything I should change
thank you in advance!🙂

mojo_1

Saint Clairsville OH
can baby redfoots eat climbing day flower(commelina diffusa)I was taking malakai out for some sun time and she wandered over to some weeds and started nibbling them,so I opened my plant identifier app and it said it was climbing day flower,she is about 4 months old,she eats romaine lettuce,mustard & turnip greens,mushrooms,hibiscus,turk's cap(Texas mallow)pineapple,apples,grapes,blackberries,watercress,dandelion greens from whole foods(not the weeds growing in the yard...is there a difference?)kale,bell peppers,yellow squash,zucchini,red leaf lettuce,I also have a 8 year old sulcata,but he already eats Bahia grass and weeds,won't give a 2nd thought to hay,I've soaked it many of things water,carrot juice,carrot & sweet potato baby food,juice from a piece of watermelon,I've tried for about a year,I've listened to plenty of experts,but again who can you truly trust,everyone raising tortoises has something to say and they think their way is the best,and forget asking tortoise groups on Facebook,these people just verbally rip you apart like your a terrorist!I also have a 23 year old red eared slider raised her since she was a hatchling and a 1 year old 3 striped mud turtle,the red ear & sulcata live outside,the redfoot & mud turtle live inside,the redfoot has a 75 watt basking light,UVB light and a ceramic heat emitter,humidity is at 80% and temp is 78°on cool side and 90° on warm side,she has organic topsoil,water & food dish,little fake plants to hide in,I'm sorry so long but besides the weed question is there anything I should change
thank you in advance!🙂
I can't answer the weed question but redfoots don't need a basking area. keep temperature around 80° to 84° and the humidity above 80%

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I have always believed the animals have much better instinct about what they can eat and what they shouldn't than we do. For instance I live on double cheeseburgers, extra cheese and extra mayonnaise, leave off the rabbit food. I have toxic nightshade growing on this property. So I pretty much watch around for it...
I have a 2 year old Redfoot...he doesn't bask, he eats absolutely anything I offer him. A favorite is mushrooms. I am a Sulcata person and I have never had a tortoise who eats fruit,or boiled eggs...but this guy sure is an easy keeper...He lives in a greenhouse in the reptile room in my house. The greenhouse stays a constant 85 degrees with 90% humidity. It bothers me that he doesn't need to bask..."I" need for him to bask like my other tortoises...lolDSCN1241.JPG

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I know someone who gave a baby Redfoot tortoise Poinciana flowers thinking they were Hibiscus, and the tortoise promptly died, obviously poisoned. On the other hand, an older tortoise may be grazing and happen to chomp on a few Poinciana petals, and be totally fine. I wouldn't deliberately feed anything we are warned against feeding. Redfoots in particular eat a vast range of items including animal protein, like boiled eggs, sardines, chicken, whatever we eat!

lawlessangel76

Oldsmar,fl
I know someone who gave a baby Redfoot tortoise Poinciana flowers thinking they were Hibiscus, and the tortoise promptly died, obviously poisoned. On the other hand, an older tortoise may be grazing and happen to chomp on a few Poinciana petals, and be totally fine. I wouldn't deliberately feed anything we are warned against feeding. Redfoots in particular eat a vast range of items including animal protein, like boiled eggs, sardines, chicken, whatever we eat!
oh ya she likes chicken,earthworms,boiled eggs,she won't touch sardines will they eat crickets like box turtles

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Until I finally found them all and dug them all out of my yard. Every Spring my Redfoot would chomp down on Easter lillies that popped up over and over.
Probably planted by a previous owner of my house.
Absolutely poisonous. But they never got ill.
Tortoises know instinctively what tastes good. But not for not eating poisonous plants that they've never encountered before.