Quick introduction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silferme

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Scandinavia
Hello everyone!

I'd just like to introduce myself and my lovely little RT girl Ramses. The name was picked when she was a baby and ofcourse we realised later that she was a female. So even though she might appear to be slightly crossdressing due her name, she is still greatly loved as me and my fiancee are rather openminded with that kind of things :p

I live in Scandinavia and have had her for about 16 years. Her estimated age is 16.5 to 17 years as she was tiny when she came to the family.

I'm on the progress of rebuilding her enclosure and that's really the reason why I started to browse this forum more than usually. She has just moved to our new apartment and before that she has been in the loving care of my mother because I have been working in several different countries for quite few years. So now she is back in my care and it was a great reason to rebuild her enclosure to fit the new location.

She lives indoors as we live at the center of a capital city and don't have a possibility for an outdoor enclosure. I know that the terrarium could be bigger but as you can see from the pictures I can't build a bigger one for the spot she can be placed to. She ofcourse gets some time outdoors but that is still not much, just when our dwarf rabbit and her explores the inner garden of our building every now and then.

She is quite a small lady (650 grams and 15 cm) but should be spot on according the Donoghue Ratio. The small size is most likely explained due the fact that she was severely ill when we got her and it took quite a time for her to recover a good health.

Her new enclosure is still work in progress and is still missing frosted cover for the lower half of the plexiglass, (even though she has never had any problems with transparent terrariums), the "cave" of hers will be molded from fiberglass so that she has a ramp up to the top where she has a small "observation deck" and also some aloe vera plants will be planted and more plastic leaves for shade. The bedding will also be changed soon but right now the beechwood is just much easier to work with while building the enclosure.

The terrarium measures approx. 80 cm x 70 cm (~2.6' x 2.3') and the walls are made of two pieces of 6mm plexiglass rounded to the shape. The temperatures should be spot on: 35-38C/95-100F for basking and 22-24C/72-75F for cooler side. As the light I use SolarGlo 125w MVB.

She has hibernated for the last ~14 winters.

That's about everything that pops to my mind about her and her living conditions.

And as a little shorter version for those who cannot be bothered to read my babbling about my tort: Hi! :)

ramses.JPG

ramses2.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
:D I got a chuckle out of the "shorter" version. Hi and welcome! I wonder if she can climb out of the tank using the plant? You certainly have had her for many years and she looks very beautiful.

She kinda looks like she might be a bit on the dry side, does she soak on her own?

tortle

5 Year Member
Phoenix, AZ
Welcome! That's a unique enclosure and you sound very detailed about her care :)

Silferme

5 Year Member
Scandinavia
She cant as the plant will come off if she tries to climb it. The final version of the cave will have a cover which prevents her from climbing over the side even is she is standing on top of it.

Silferme

5 Year Member
Scandinavia
tortle said:
Welcome! That's a unique enclosure and you sound very detailed about her care :)

Thanks :) And yes, I wish her to be well and happy in the new environment and she has to be looked upon bit extra now when the enclosure is half done and not everything needed is there yet.

Oh, and about the soaking, completely missed that part. She is not soaking by herself right now but will be again in the future. It is possible that she might be a bit dehydrated as we have a nice heatwave here and as we live in a penthouse apartment it gets hot really easily. To prevent her from drying up in the heat I soak her every day while I'm having a shower myself. (supervised ofcourse)

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
Welcome!

I couldn't help but notice Ramses's swollen eye. Are both her eyes swollen?

Get her hydrated.

Silferme

5 Year Member
Scandinavia
mctlong said:
Welcome!

I couldn't help but notice Ramses's swollen eye. Are both her eyes swollen?

Get her hydrated.

As I wrote earlier, she is being soaked 20-30mins every day due the heat we are having. It has been the worst for the last 3 days and temperature easily climbs up to around 28-30C/82-86F in the apartment. We don't have airconditioning as it rarely gets that hot here.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Silferme:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

Status
Not open for further replies.