Quick question about nail trim

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigrussiantortoise

5 Year Member
My RT is hurting me with his SUPER sharp claws should I cut them and if so how far in should I cut? there about as long as an half a inch

He's not hurting me on purpose it's whenever I pick him up he thinks he can walk on air and starts walking and accidentally scratches me I almost dropped him one time because he stabbed me in the middle if my palm

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Wayland, NY
Quick question

You can "trim" them down by putting flat rocks in the enclosure so it slowly wears them down.

Sent from my Ipod using the tortoiseforum app

gtiljen

5 Year Member
RE: Quick question

I wouldn't cut them if I were you take it to a VET and see if the vet can do or put try to let the tortoise walk and file them down naturally. Try using a cement stepping stone from lowes and place it somewhere in the cage that should do it. And don't forget those beaks will overgrow as well offer your tortoise a cuttlebone for birds to also try to prevent an overgrown mandible. Or try feeding your tortoise in a flower pot saucer from walmart or lowes garden section the tortoise goes to eat beak hits flower saucer going for food and kinda wears it down. Your tortoises shell, beak and nails are made up of the same thing our finger nails are made from if I am not mistaken its called keratin. I could be wrong, don't take my word for 100% I can only suggest.

bigrussiantortoise said:
My RT is hurting me with his SUPER sharp claws should I cut them and if so how far in should I cut? there about as long as an half a inch

He's not hurting me on purpose it's whenever I pick him up he thinks he can walk on air and starts walking and accidentally scratches me I almost dropped him one time because he stabbed me in the middle if my palm

WillTort2

5 Year Member

When I need to cary mine any distance over 3 ft I put the tort in a small 6 pack cooler and carry it by the handle. They like that better than flying on my palm.

Mrturtle527

5 Year Member
Northern California
Quick question

I know the feeling and my kids hate holding them (which I like).

I find that if I hold him under his rear and front with both hands he doesn't try running in air as much. I told my kids that when they hold him without support it's like if I held them by their waist band and hung them there :). He will get used to being handled.

Also agree with no clipping. Let him walk on sidewalk outside and it will help quickly.

Check us out on Facebook
www.facebook.com/mrturtle527

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum mobile app

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

If you've ever trimmed dog or cat claws, its the same thing. Using a dog nail trimmer, take off the ends of each claw. If you do this in very bright light, you can see a dark line in the middle of the claw. That's the blood line. Don't trim up into that line.

Status
Not open for further replies.