Quick Question About shell

Nicholas Bova

DC2D26E0-E591-4044-A92E-41EB5EBCB726.jpeg F48F1FCA-C203-4455-8B93-B73487586F83.jpeg 6913FB8A-4E38-42D3-9F48-5BB9C4565934.jpeg 449F9EDA-18E0-46A4-873B-12F9C316A098.jpeg Hi all, I’ve posted about his shell once before and the pyramiding seems to be getting better. Only question is, is is his shell healthy besides the pyramiding? It seems very dry and kind of layered all over. I’ll post pics. Also you will see in pics it seems like every piece is outlined white almost. What is that ? And is he healthy ?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
This tortoise has been, and is still being housed in the wrong conditions. It is also suffering from metabolic bone disease which could be due to lack of UV, lack of calcium, poor diet, or some combination of those factors.

This tortoise needs warm monsoon conditions and plenty of sunshine. Can we help you achieve that?

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I believe you have been actively improving conditions for this tortoise for a year now with updates to the forum. I have a slightly different take, knowing that, than Tom. His reply is exactly what I would have said last year.

I see severe pyramiding that has been tremendously reduced the last year or so. From the bedding in the picture, I can certainly see things are too dry there, but newer growth is much better. As they get large, age takes care of some of that for us and the tend to grow smoother, but there is a pretty drastic improvement here.

With MBD, I normally look for a depressed rear section of the carapace. The hip girdle is attached to the carapace in tortoises and the leg ligaments and muscles create downward pressure. So with just the beginnings of MBD, we normally see that depressed 4th and 5th vertebral. I really don't see that here. The carapace does look a bit flatter - which is also a sign, but it was that way when I believe Nicholas got this sulcata about a year ago - and it looks much better now.

I would say this tortoise is doing much better under your care, @Nicholas Bova. But continue to look for ways to improve humidity, as the "night box?" he is in in the photo looks too dry.

Here is a picture he posted of this tortoise 11 months ago... Great improvement.

Nicholas Bova Sulcata.jpeg