question on shell conditioner/moisturizer

Pia B

Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
years ago I bought this stuff called Vita Shell it seems to be off the market . I liked using it once in a while especially after soaking . Recently when I took Speedbump to visit some kids I used a little coconut oil on his shell :) makes it look nice . Do any of you apply any kind of conditioner / moisturizer on your torts shells ? This may be a dumb question .

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
No never. Not in over 40 years.

A shiny shell pleases some people. To me they look best in their natural smooth, scuffed state.

Take care not to apply too much and block the pores in the shell.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
years ago I bought this stuff called Vita Shell it seems to be off the market . I liked using it once in a while especially after soaking . Recently when I took Speedbump to visit some kids I used a little coconut oil on his shell :) makes it look nice . Do any of you apply any kind of conditioner / moisturizer on your torts shells ? This may be a dumb question .

This has been the subject of an ongoing debate for many years. One side claims its helpful and harmless, the other side claiming it isn't helpful and shouldn't be used.

I actually did a small informal experiment and found that while it is not harmful, it also wasn't helpful, but it did make them look nice.

If you search around a bit, you will find pages and pages arguing about this. Here is my experiment, but there is much more discussion on the topic here on the forum from over the years:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/vitashell.27085/

Pia B

Massachusetts
This has been the subject of an ongoing debate for many years. One side claims its helpful and harmless, the other side claiming it isn't helpful and shouldn't be used.

I actually did a small informal experiment and found that while it is not harmful, it also wasn't helpful, but it did make them look nice.

If you search around a bit, you will find pages and pages arguing about this. Here is my experiment, but there is much more discussion on the topic here on the forum from over the years:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/vitashell.27085/
Thank you Tom I will read through . I figured the coco oil won't hurt him and I do it maybe 2-4 times a year. If I have a visit somewhere I make sure he looks his best . I always get Oh he looks so clean for a turtle :) and he is not a turtle :) He had his shower this morning boy he loves those now that he is big for the first time I did not use the hand held sprayer . Awesome huh when the "kids" grow up and pass the hand held shower head :)

NB98x

Scotland
I sometimes use coconut oil on my torts shell after soaking :) nothing wrong with it

Pia B

Massachusetts
That was very informative Tom . your babies gave me baby sulcata fever !! conclusion is no harm is being done :)

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Thank you Tom I will read through . I figured the coco oil won't hurt him and I do it maybe 2-4 times a year. If I have a visit somewhere I make sure he looks his best . I always get Oh he looks so clean for a turtle :) and he is not a turtle :) He had his shower this morning boy he loves those now that he is big for the first time I did not use the hand held sprayer . Awesome huh when the "kids" grow up and pass the hand held shower head :)
Here is a discussion that has been going on for years about coconut oil: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/coconut-oil.103782/

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
One of our members used the vita shell on his two leopards and they are perfectly smooth and no harm done. If I remember correctly, he didn't put it on the growth lines. Search out @Zamric threads.