Shell conditioner

Skip K

Location (City and/or State)
Virginia
Recently received an ad about “Shell Conditioner”...which got me researching it ( including threads on this forum). My question for the group is about any possible benefit. Since our torts are indoors for months because of our location I wonder about shell dessication from heat lamps. The shells look ok...from humidity in the enclosures and other things I do...but I still wonder about the effect of basking lights and CHES. What’s everyones opinion on if a shell conditioner would be beneficial or not at adding extra moisture to the shell? I really don’t care if the torts look “shiny” or not. I would only use it during the cold months the torts are indoors as they get plenty of moisture in the summer from humidity, their mini ponds and mud pits

Tortisedonk7

Indonesia
I have seen on here that some some people like to use extra virgin olive oil, coconut oil or pure unsent mineral oil. I think it’s like once a month application.
I would prefer to use coconut oil, but where I am the ants would be all over him in minutes.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I did some growth experiments with this stuff years ago on some hatching sulcatas. My conclusion was that it does no harm, but whether or not there was any benefit was questionable. I've read other threads on the topic, and some people do feel it is beneficial.

Skip K

Virginia
I did some growth experiments with this stuff years ago on some hatching sulcatas. My conclusion was that it does no harm, but whether or not there was any benefit was questionable. I've read other threads on the topic, and some people do feel it is beneficial.
Tom, guess I’ll be a test bed. Not gonna use it on the little sulkies...but I’ll try it on the much larger Redfoots and Leopard. Only info I can find in reviews are “leaves the shell shiny”...which I don’t care about. I don’t have the luxury of keeping them outdoors year round...and if I can give them a little extra benefit when they must be kept indoors for so many months...I’ll try. I feel comfortable with your observations about such products.

Tortisedonk7

Indonesia
Recently received an ad about “Shell Conditioner”...which got me researching it ( including threads on this forum). My question for the group is about any possible benefit. Since our torts are indoors for months because of our location I wonder about shell dessication from heat lamps. The shells look ok...from humidity in the enclosures and other things I do...but I still wonder about the effect of basking lights and CHES. What’s everyones opinion on if a shell conditioner would be beneficial or not at adding extra moisture to the shell? I really don’t care if the torts look “shiny” or not. I would only use it during the cold months the torts are indoors as they get plenty of moisture in the summer from humidity, their mini ponds and mud pits
Would you mind posting a few pics of the ‘mini ponds and mud pits’ I’m gathering ideas for when I build a new outdoor space in 6 months.

Skip K

Virginia
Would you mind posting a few pics of the ‘mini ponds and mud pits’ I’m gathering ideas for when I build a new outdoor space in 6 months.
I can do the mini pond...but the ground is frozen so there is no mud. I made “burrows” in the enclosures...for cooler areas for the non burrowing Redfoots to hunker down in our intense summer heat...and when it rains...they collect some water and become muddy which the Redfoots love to wallow in. I’ll take photos of the man made burrows. Our Leopards just seem to like shady above ground areas in the summer

Skip K

Virginia
I can do the mini pond...but the ground is frozen so there is no mud. I made “burrows” in the enclosures...for cooler areas for the non burrowing Redfoots to hunker down in our intense summer heat...and when it rains...they collect some water and become muddy which the Redfoots love to wallow in. I’ll take photos of the man made burrows. Our Leopards just seem to like shady above ground areas in the summer
I remembered I posted photos of the recent enclosure build on this site. It shows the enclosure 5x20 feet and the man made burrows...but I’ll take a pic of the mini pond tomorrow. Do a search for “Nearly Ready To Begin Construction”....and scroll down to see the finished enclosure and burrows

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I use coconut oil weekly on my Burmese star.

And read this post...

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I've used coconut oil on my Torts for a couple years now. I tend to think it does help keep the carapace moisturized. I can't say for certain if it's related, but both of my Reds have grown perfectly smooth.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I have seen on here that some some people like to use extra virgin olive oil, coconut oil or pure unsent mineral oil. I think it’s like once a month application.
I would prefer to use coconut oil, but where I am the ants would be all over him in minutes.

You definitely want to stay far away from any “mineral oil” product for a tortoise shell (scented or not).

➡️➡️ Mineral oil is a clear, odorless liquid and a common ingredient in a variety of cosmetics and personal care products. Mineral oil is made from highly refined, purified and processed petroleum.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Mineral oil is non-absorptive, which means it's good to use INTERNALLY because is coats the digestive tract blockage and helps the blockage to pass, but it will do nothing EXTERNALLY because it doesn't absorb. Cold pressed coconut oil seems to be beneficial to the new growth on tortoise shells. Read this thread:

Last edited:

Skip K

Virginia
Mineral is non-absorptive, which means it's good to use INTERNALLY because is coats the digestive tract blockage and helps the blockage to pass, but it will do nothing EXTERNALLY because it doesn't absorb. Cold pressed coconut oil seems to be beneficial to the new growth on tortoise shells. Read this thread:

Mineral oil and and helping with a possible blockage...this leads me to another question...Yvonne, lol. I’ll post it in the enclosure catagory

Kothy

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Connecticut
I use coconut oil om my Cherry heads, it works great and I noticed, my babies used to get little tiny bugs on there shells, Haven't seen any since I started the oil. I do it once a month, they actually like the polishing, they. seem to love the petting.

Skip K

Virginia
Here is one of the mini ponds...with my size 12 shoe for scale. And to reiterate...you can search “Nearly Ready To Begin Construction”...if you scroll down the thread...and see the finished enclosure and burrows I made. I have stones and flat “beach “ rocks in the bottom. As the torts grow...I can remove stones and increase water depth

AF914712-5186-4C75-B57C-402D01791E61.jpeg9688D2B3-A1BF-4A4E-A773-3212931C4F95.jpeg

Last edited:

Guts

Tennessee
The zoo I interned at did a once monthly coconut oil rub on the shells of their large aldabras and Galapagos tortoises, it seemed to help stop them from getting that dry dusty look in the hotter drier months. They also smelled wonderful afterwords lol