Quick question (about soaking)

Mystic_Queen (Llaria)

Location (City and/or State)
England,
Am I right in thinking that a 30/40 min soak once a week is ok for pumpkin or should this be more often with her being 4 months old?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Awesome. Thanks. I thought so but thought I’d double check. Do I need to keep the water she soaks in tepid or don’t it matter if it goes cold?
Try to keep it warm. You can place the soak dish in your enclosure to keep the water warm.

Mystic_Queen (Llaria)

England,
That’s what I’ve been doing. I use a separate bowl for the soaking. She does have her water in there too that she is always in when she isn’t under her edible bedding. She’s just been munching on beetroot toppings. Water cress. Grated carrot and her cuttlefish.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Happy Birthday, in keeping with your UK tradition, arent you supposed to provide us all with cake!?

Always soak. Always soak daily. Always soak in nice warm water. These are tropical species, they probably have no idea of cold. Enjoy your day!

Mystic_Queen (Llaria)

England,
Happy Birthday, in keeping with your UK tradition, arent you supposed to provide us all with cake!?

Always soak. Always soak daily. Always soak in nice warm water. These are tropical species, they probably have no idea of cold. Enjoy your day!
What birthday cake I don’t have one ??.
I’ve spent the day on my own browsing this website drinking gin
?
Also I am doing. I soak everyday for no more than 45mins. I put the soaking bowl in the enclosure to keep it warm and I don’t move. I keep an eye on her. Pumpkin probs thinks I’m some kind of crazy lady ??

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
I soaked my tortoises every other day or two for the first year. After that, they had to figure things out on their own.

If they have a ceramic-coated or plastic plant saucer that is level with the substrate, they ought to be able to figure out water intake. So long as you don't move the location of their water in the enclosure, the tortoise should figure out where the water is and drink accordingly.

Mystic_Queen (Llaria)

England,
I soaked my tortoises every other day or two for the first year. After that, they had to figure things out on their own.

If they have a ceramic-coated or plastic plant saucer that is level with the substrate, they ought to be able to figure out water intake. So long as you don't move the location of their water in the enclosure, the tortoise should figure out where the water is and drink accordingly.
I keep everything in the same place. I’ve only had her for a few days. So she is still getting used to her new home. So far so good. She does go to her water. But I still allow her to soak so I know she is hydrated. She is eating really well. Seems to enjoy her greens more than the fruit. But I’m still offering different types so I know what she enjoys most.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
What birthday cake I don’t have one ??.
I’ve spent the day on my own browsing this website drinking gin
?
Also I am doing. I soak everyday for no more than 45mins. I put the soaking bowl in the enclosure to keep it warm and I don’t move. I keep an eye on her. Pumpkin probs thinks I’m some kind of crazy lady ??
turtle-tastic-77980-800x600.jpeg

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
I keep everything in the same place. I’ve only had her for a few days. So she is still getting used to her new home. So far so good. She does go to her water. But I still allow her to soak so I know she is hydrated. She is eating really well. Seems to enjoy her greens more than the fruit. But I’m still offering different types so I know what she enjoys most.

Sounds like a good plan.

I really love the details outlined in Mike Pingleton's book for redfoot care: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/19412843-the-redfoot-manual

I also greatly appreciate this resource in your neck of the woods (UK) for food items out of the garden: https://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk

Happy Birthday!

Mystic_Queen (Llaria)

England,
Sounds like a good plan.

I really love the details outlined in Mike Pingleton's book for redfoot care: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/19412843-the-redfoot-manual

I also greatly appreciate this resource in your neck of the woods (UK) for food items out of the garden: https://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk

Happy Birthday!
Thank you I’ve just downloaded an app picture this so it’s easier to identify plants I’m not sure about. So guess who will walking round village taking random pics of plants haha