Quick question: MVB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tinkerbell1189

5 Year Member
I bought an Arcadia MVB basking/UVB bulb for my tort last week. Before this I had just a UV tube and basking bulb. I was told to have the tube and heat on 12-14 hours a day. So I did the same with my MVB bulb, and after a while it would flicker on and off or just switch itself off. I thought it was broken so took it back to the shop. The guy told me it sounded the bulb was over heating and that it must be on for too long, when I told him how long I had been having it on for he was shocked and said that's way too much.

Apparently because the MVB bulb is so much more powerful and gives off a higher UV percentage you only have it on for say 6hours set on a timer. Therefore this imitates the midday sun/heat in the wild. He said I expect your tort takes itself off to bed by 3? Which he does.. And I thought ah this does make sense so took the bulb back bought a timer and have set it for 6hours.

So I am just checking with you guys as your the experts, is this correct?

cljohnson

5 Year Member
I don't know that particular bulb but, I have never heard anyone recommend only 6 hours of light for a tortoise.
I have always heard 12 hours.
If your tort needs shade he will find it.

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
I never heard of that blub but I use a Power sun MVB on a timer for 12 hour mine wil go in and out of the hide or move to the cooler end when they need to

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
They will turn off when they overheat, but the amount of time alone shouldn't cause it. The heat isn't dissipating as quickly as it should and is building up. What type of fixture is it in?

As for how long you should have it on, I think an MVB on for 12 hours is a bit much. 6 hours is is more reasonable for the MVB. You should have other sources of light (and heat if necesary) for the remainder of the day. I would also recommend reading this.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
I think that it's fine, but I would provide other light when the MVB is off, so it's lighted for 12 to 15 hours. I have heard good things about Arcadia. You must be in the UK.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have always just set MVBs on a timer for 12-14 hours and the tortoise can move in or out of its "sunshine" as it see fit, just as if it was outside. Done the same thing with iguanas, monitor lizards, beardies, etc... My tortoises keep different hours at different times of the year, so I wouldn't want if off half the time. Mine might be sleeping in the hide the whole time it's on and that would just be a waste...

You do need a large aluminum hood with vent holes at the base and a ceramic fixture. What sort of fixture are you using it in?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have never heard of it being on to long. I also have mine on for 12 hours when I am using it. Make sure you have a ceramic socket and that it is rated for the wattage of the bulb. Also, the dome/fixture it is in should have vents holes around the socket area.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
All MVB bulbs have an over-heat circuit, but different makers probably set the temps differently. It also really matters how you mount it- whether the heat is building up around the bulb or not.

Most places in the temperate and tropical zones only get large doses of UVB and added heat for 4-8 hours a day, but have light 10-14 hours a day. Using a normal bulb, the MVB, and a couple timers lets you simulate this nicely with the bonus of a longer lasting MVB.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with using an MVB all day (if yours will run that long) as long as there is plenty of room and options for the tortoises to move around in. They cannot OD from 'solar vitamin D' like they can from dietary D, but there is not automatically a benefit to running the bulb all day since they just won't take on vitamin D once they are fully charged.

expo tort

5 Year Member
Why does everyone have mounted fixtures that are hanging from the ceiling?

expo tort

5 Year Member
I have my lights attached to the sides like this.

Like this

Attachments

• image-2523353982.png
    image-2523353982.png
    192.9 KB · Views: 19
  • image-2811022680.png
    image-2811022680.png
    239.3 KB · Views: 14

KimandKarasi

5 Year Member
Houston, Texas
expo tort said:

Like this

I think the reason people don't do that is because the glare can hurt the little torts eyes.. (when I had mine like that I was told to change it immediately..)

Laurie

5 Year Member
Saratoga County, New York
expo tort said:

Like this

MVB bulbs need to be mounted straight down, not at an angle, to work properly. Also, those clamps are not safe. They often fail or are knocked off easily. This can result in a fire or burn to your tortoise. The safer method would be to hang them.

Laurie

5 Year Member
Saratoga County, New York
expo tort said:
How do u mount them to the ceiling?

They don't have to be mounted to the ceiling. You can get lamp stands specifically made for hanging them, or you can make a frame out of something like 2 x 4's to hang them from.

tinkerbell1189

5 Year Member
Thanks for all your input guys I'm working on having it on for less hours as its just keeps switching itself off otherwise and I worry that it will blow I'm having to do it gradually though so that I don't mess up all his sleeping pattern

Status
Not open for further replies.