dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
I actually have 2 from ronald reagen the first is
" Before I refuse to take your questions, I have an opening statement"
and
"I have wondered at times what the Ten Commandments would have looked like if Moses had run them through the US Congress."

2 gems of funny wisdom from a personal hero of mine and even thought I am not a religous man, I often wonder about the second one.
enjoy :)

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Even though I have evolved into a liberal Democrat, I always loved Ronald Reagan. The first election I ever voted in (1980) I voted for him. And again in 1984.

He had a paperweight (I think) on his desk that said, "Lead, follow or get out of the way." That remains one of my favorite sayings.:D

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
there are 2 today from will rogers the first one is
"An onion can make people cry but there's never been a vegetable that can make people laugh" this one made me laugh, the second is
"Best doctor in the world is the Veterinarian. He can’t ask his patients what’s the matter. He’s just got to know"
My vet loved the above qoute so I woodburned it onto a piece of wood for him and he was so touched by it that he gave me my next two vet visits for free.
Enjoy :)

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
I love the first one :D It is a funny one!
Your vet is very nice, it was very nice of you to do that too :)
Thanks for the quote!

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
Qoute of the day ( John Adams)

"I must study politics and war that my sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy."

John Adams

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
RE: Qoute of the day ( John Adams)

So the more things change, the more they stay the same...

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
Quote of the day (Thomas Jefferson)

Here are 2 the first one is for people who think we live in a democracy
"A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine."

The second one is for people who tend to disagree with each other
"An association of men who will not quarrel with one another is a thing which has never yet existed, from the greatest confederacy of nations down to a town meeting or a vestry."

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
RE: Quote of the day (Thomas Jefferson)

Both are a bit hyperbolic, but the central theme rings true. That's why politics are so ugly, why the "sweetheart deals" to one side are "necessary compromise" to the other....People feel strongly and want things to be black and white, because there's a lot of comfort in simplicity, but it's a multi-faceted, complicated world we live in, full of shades of gray.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
Quote of the day (Ibrahim Babangida)

"It is only through books that we partake of the great harvest that is human civilization across the ages"

Being a bibliophile I tend to agree.

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Southern California
RE: Quote of the day (Ibrahim Babangida)

I feel that art and music offer much of the same "harvest".

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
"It is only through books that we partake of the great harvest that is human civilization across the ages"

Being a bibliophile I tend to agree.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Me, too! I just wish I could read faster as there are so many good books in my nightstand and more on my "Books to Read" list! Seems like in today's world there is far too much information for the average brain to absorb, and trying to decide which sources to pay heed to and which to ignore is maddeningly difficult.:p

True wisdom would be the talent of discerning which is which, haha! ;)

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
Qoute of the day (John Quincy Adams)
"If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader."

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
Qoute of the day (Jeff Shaw)

" My uncle was thrown out of a mime show for having a seizure, they thought he was heckling"

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Well, gee, dmmj, this one is hard! Should I scold you for indirectly dissing people with disabilities (kind of like Obama did with the Special Olympics on the Tonight Show?);)

Or we could pine for the good old days of vaudeville acts, when people were all honest and kind and went to church together on Sundays (which, as an historian, I can assure you NEVER existed)? :cool:

So instead I'll comment on the John Quincy Adams remark, which was very notable as well as noble. In today's politically polarized America, I feel compelled to copy the following quote:

In the political tradition of the early 19th century, Adams as Secretary of State was considered the political heir to the Presidency. But the old ways of choosing a President were giving way in 1824 before the clamor for a popular choice.

Within the one and only party--the Republican--sectionalism and factionalism were developing, and each section put up its own candidate for the Presidency. Adams, the candidate of the North, fell behind Gen. Andrew Jackson in both popular and electoral votes, but received more than William H. Crawford and Henry Clay. Since no candidate had a majority of electoral votes, the election was decided among the top three by the House of Representatives. Clay, who favored a program similar to that of Adams, threw his crucial support in the House to the New Englander.

Upon becoming President, Adams appointed Clay as Secretary of State. Jackson and his angry followers charged that a "corrupt bargain" had taken place and immediately began their campaign to wrest the Presidency from Adams in 1828.

Just a reminder that "everything old is new again"! ;)

Here's the link to the above quoted biographical text: http://www.whitehouse.gov/about/presidents/johnquincyadams

Status
Not open for further replies.