The poop experiment

Status
Not open for further replies.

LolaMyLove

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Walnut Creek, Ca
Ok, starting a tortoise poop experiment. We have six tomato plants growing.

Two are watered with tort tea...
Two are watered with Miracle grow.
Two are watered with straight well water.

Which do you think will grow the best? Which will grow the tallest? Which will produce the most fruit?

:tort:

lkwagner

5 Year Member
The "tort tea" will grow the biggest and produce the most tomatoes! I've seen some pictures it's like plants on steroids! You better update this thread I want to show this to my dad he thinks I'm crazy

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The Miracle Grow ones, naturally (if you believe all the commercial hype).

But, seriously, I really doubt the tort tea will add much to the mix. There's not a whole lot of nutrients in tortoise poop. It's pretty much like horse poop. I've been using decomposed horse poop for years in my gardening and all it does is loosen up the soil. I don't see any bigger or healthier plants because of it.

LolaMyLove

10 Year Member!
Walnut Creek, Ca
Todays update

As you can see by the picture, the Tort Tea is over 2 feet taller then the Miracle Grow tomatoes. In fact the Miracle Grow is also smaller then the straight well water plants.

photo (11).jpg

However, with that said, the only plants with fruit growing is the well water plants. Both the Miracle Grow and Tort Tea have no fruit yet.

Will keep you posted.

PS. Found my "other tortoise" in my enclosure again! She even got under the bird netting.
photo (12).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

JennBell0725

5 Year Member
Im gonna have to start saving my poo water lol

☆Jenn☆ and The Sulcata Hatchies, Cera, Ducky, and Spike!

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Do they all get the same exact amount of light throughout the day as well? Very interesting experiment! Keep us posted :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using TortForum mobile app

LolaMyLove

10 Year Member!
Walnut Creek, Ca
They were all planted at the same time, same sun amount and the about the same water. The well watered plants are on a timer And may get slightly less water then the hand watered plants. The tort tea plants are very tall and bright green but no fruit. I'll let you know in a few weeks how they progress.

Sent from my iPhone using TortoiseForum mobile app

Vickie

5 Year Member
littlestella said:
They were all planted at the same time, same sun amount and the about the same water. The well watered plants are on a timer And may get slightly less water then the hand watered plants. The tort tea plants are very tall and bright green but no fruit. I'll let you know in a few weeks how they progress.

Very interesting! Dumb question are they all the same breed of tomato?

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
An interesting extension of this study could be to have some plants watered with "tort tea" from strictly herbivorous torts (like a sulcata or one of the Europeans) and some watered with "tort tea" from omnivorous torts like redfoots or yellowfoots, and see what, if any, difference it makes. No doubts samples would be easy enough to aquire... ;)

Did a similar experiment last year by watering some tomato plants, all Heirloom tomatos, with "piggie poop tea" and some with "goat poop tea", as my little Hamlet is omnivorous, while Cleveland and Artica are strictly herbivorous. In this case, the "goat poop tea" plants bloomed earlier and gave about 7% better yeild.

Also, made up some "dog poop tea"...those tomato plants never grew very well nor produced at all, so carnivore poop is NOT effective fertilizer!

LolaMyLove

10 Year Member!
Walnut Creek, Ca
That would be a great experiment. My tort is a russian and the only one I have for this experiment. To date there is still no fruit growing on the tort tea plants. They are larger and look healthy, just not producing any flowers at this point. I think if I were ever to repeat this I would use all the same type of tomatoes.

Status
Not open for further replies.