R.I.P. SPEED

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I might have ridden that guy 40 years ago...

Its cool that so many of his offspring are out there. I always keep a sort of mental tally of things like that. I feel better about a tortoise being removed from the wild if it is successfully reproduced in captivity. It somehow makes it more okay with me. Bringing this one into a captive situation and reproducing means that many more did not need to be removed from the wild, and perhaps one day more than this one that was taken, could be replaced. Thousands of tortoises have been put onto the various Galapagos islands after getting some head start help from human hands.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I might have ridden that guy 40 years ago...

Its cool that so many of his offspring are out there. I always keep a sort of mental tally of things like that. I feel better about a tortoise being removed from the wild if it is successfully reproduced in captivity. It somehow makes it more okay with me. Bringing this one into a captive situation and reproducing means that many more did not need to be removed from the wild, and perhaps one day more than this one that was taken, could be replaced. Thousands of tortoises have been put onto the various Galapagos islands after getting some head start help from human hands.
My thoughts exactly.
Except for the bit about riding him.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My thoughts exactly.
Except for the bit about riding him.

There was a time when they allowed Zoo visitors into the Galap pen and kids could sit on the tortoises for a picture. I have a pic of me sitting on one, when I was 5 years old, but I can't find it now. Somewhere I posted a pic of my dad holding me over the enclosure and my feet were on the back of one of these giants. I don't have that pic here either, but it might have been old Speedy.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
There was a time when they allowed Zoo visitors into the Galap pen and kids could sit on the tortoises for a picture. I have a pic of me sitting on one, when I was 5 years old, but I can't find it now. Somewhere I posted a pic of my dad holding me over the enclosure and my feet were on the back of one of these giants. I don't have that pic here either, but it might have been old Speedy.
Yep, I did it too, at Bristol Zoo. But just not Speed. No photo though sadly.

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas

I remember this and also have a photo of me sitting on one, that is what made me fall in love with them. He was the sweetest guy. I really need to dig up that pic!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I remember this and also have a photo of me sitting on one, that is what made me fall in love with them. He was the sweetest guy. I really need to dig up that pic!

Yeah ya' do!!! What are you waiting for?

4jean

5 Year Member
New York State
I think I might have one too. Speed was the tortoise that I remember made me fall in love with tortoises.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Glad I posted this.
Not only did good old Speed father part of the future of his kind, but helped encourage some of you wonderful lot to become tortoise lovers.
Thank you, Speed