Rabbits in enclosure?

Jessicapinkie1

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Floresville TX
Wondering if there is a purpose or if "you" just like both? Thinking about getting a couple :)
Thanks

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I'm not sure I understand your question.

You know of someone that houses rabbits with tortoises in the same enclosure and you are thinking of doing the same?

If you want a rabbit, get one. But why not give it a separate enclosure?

samercer

5 Year Member
Elgin, IL
I would assume that the tortoise would be displeased with the smell of rabbit urine :\

Leo1986

5 Year Member
Personally if I put my bunny in with my torts I know she would chew on their shells... Also turtles like to eat poop so I have a feeling rabbit poop would become a staple for the torts. :)

lightsout2184

5 Year Member
Team Gomberg said:
I'm not sure I understand your question.

You know of someone that houses rabbits with tortoises in the same enclosure and you are thinking of doing the same?

If you want a rabbit, get one. But why not give it a separate enclosure?

I think this question comes up sometimes because certain areas in the country have a lot of wild rabbits and people post pics of them hanging out with the torts. I agree with u a 100 percent though that it should have its own enclosure.

TigsMom

5 Year Member
Arizona
If you're going to get rabbits put them in a seperate enclosure. A wild cotton tail moved in to one of my DT's enclosures and had her babies there during the late winter/early spring last year. When my tortoise woke up from brumation, he really was a little miffed and curious to see he had roomies. It was cute for pics, but not good for the bunnies nor my tortoise. The bunnies moved out on their own or with their mothers help, except for one a couple of weeks after the tortoise woke up from brumation. I took that one out when I spotted it had problems. That one ended up probably being crushed by my tortoise, it's back legs didn't function well and it didn't survive.

Jessicapinkie1

5 Year Member
Floresville TX
Theres a guy who has tons of sulcatas on fb he breeds them and raises them. He has housed them with bunnys n there enclosures with just a separate hutch for night time. Hes never had any problems. They dont chew on the shells or bother the torts at all. Also they have the same diet. But I posted this before talking with him. Thanks everyone ;)

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I was just reminded of a sorry member Baoh shared. He has witnessed his sulcatas eat rabbits.

I'll be curious to know how it works for you if you try it.

waitmanff

5 Year Member
I have both, but they both have there own space! My rabbits will chew on anything, wouldn't trust them with my tortoise!

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Re: RE: Rabbits in enclosure?

Team Gomberg said:
I was just reminded of a sorry member Baoh shared. He has witnessed his sulcatas eat rabbits.

I'll be curious to know how it works for you if you try it.

I meant story not "sorry"

My smart phone isn't to smart...

Jessicapinkie1

5 Year Member
Floresville TX
I was thinking about it with my redfoots during the day. If it doesnt work I can separate them. They have lop eared bunnys here that stay small. But my sullys r only 4 or so months old if that so they wont be with them. Still thinking about it. :rolleyes: