Russian tortoise enclosure questions.

Mikael_m29

I am thinking about getting a russian tortoise I would keep him inside a lot and only put him outside in summer because I live in Canada. What would be the best enclosure I was thinking of making a tortoise table or using a Rubbermaid plastic tub. Or if there are any better options can someone please tell me thanks.

DayDreamer

Location (City and/or State)
San Juan PR
well you have a ton of different options for indoor enclosures, book shelf layed on its back with the shelves taken out, rubbermaid tubs cut and put together to create one huge one, home made enclosure with wood, you have tons of options just depends whats going to work for you.
I bought a huge (empty) closet from ikea (no doors nothing) and just used that. i had to line it to prevent water damage but its big (bigger the better!!! russians like a lot of room to roam around) mines close to 8 feet long and a little over 3 feet wide.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-80698.html
check that link out read though it. tom goes through everything from indoor and outdoor enclosures to diet.
and take a look through the enclosure topics for some ideas :)

Mikael_m29

DayDreamer said:
well you have a ton of different options for indoor enclosures, book shelf layed on its back with the shelves taken out, rubbermaid tubs cut and put together to create one huge one, home made enclosure with wood, you have tons of options just depends whats going to work for you.
I bought a huge (empty) closet from ikea (no doors nothing) and just used that. i had to line it to prevent water damage but its big (bigger the better!!! russians like a lot of room to roam around) mines close to 8 feet long and a little over 3 feet wide.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-80698.html
check that link out read though it. tom goes through everything from indoor and outdoor enclosures to diet.
and take a look through the enclosure topics for some ideas :)
Thanks for the help :)

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southwest Washington
Daydreamer is spot on. You will never regret going bigger, especially if your tortoise has to be inside a good part of the year. Remember, you may be able to extend the season a bit with a cold frame or small greenhouse connected to an outdoor run. That creates a dry area that warms up more quickly. In Spring and Autumn, they can still go in and out as the weather allows.
Meanwhile, you have wonderful instructions.