Raccoon traps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Colorado
galvinkaos said:
In the state of CA it is illegal to relocate a trapped wild animal. A homeowner can do their own trapping but has to contact animal control or a licensed trapper to remove them. You also have to have food and water in the havahart and it must be placed in a shaded area. The best bait is sardines or fishy smelling wet cat food.

Dawna

The same requirements apply here in Colorado. After calling several government entities and animal removal services, I broke the law by not spending $150 to have the raccoon relocated by the proper authorities. In my opinion, it's a clear case of excessive bureaucracy and complicated law for a relatively simple issue. I don't think I should have to just sit back and allow these critters to dig up my deck and build themselves a den, complete with the musky smell of their pee and poop, just under my sun porch. :(

Madortoise

5 Year Member
Okay, guys.
We found one in our backyard this evening...first one in 7 years living here. We live 2 miles from ocean in Southern Cal. I didn't think we had raccoons around here. It was an adult size raccoon on our pepper tree and it was actually cute. My husband is all worked up about killing it but I don't think that's legal and I just want it to relocate. Can't I just have a humane society or someone to come set up a trap and take it away to more inland where they can live peacefully? I am thinking my neighbor's vicious dogs barking would deter it from coming close to my DT's area but I'm not sure where it would go near here...plus, I know raccoons are very smart...
My DT is outside by herself all day in the enclosed but open area w/lots of places to hide. I can't always come home before dark to lock up my DT...what should I do? :(

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
There is many ways to get rid of raccoons, Get a trappers license and trap them legally,Trap them illegally and either kill or transport Or do the 3 S's like they do bears in Appalachia, Here at the Beach(we have a new sport) the raccoons are painted with multi colored paint balls,we have the most colorful raccoons on the East Coast.-- But the best way to keep them from coming around is don't leave food out for them to get to,and play bluegrass music at night outside.

Madortoise

5 Year Member
Len said:
There is many ways to get rid of raccoons, Get a trappers license and trap them legally,Trap them illegally and either kill or transport Or do the 3 S's like they do bears in Appalachia, Here at the Beach(we have a new sport) the raccoons are painted with multi colored paint balls,we have the most colorful raccoons on the East Coast.-- But the best way to keep them from coming around is don't leave food out for them to get to,and play bluegrass music at night outside.

Not sure about the paint balls but I can do bluegrass music at night outside....:D

TortieGal

5 Year Member
Oregon
I would be very worried about that Raccoon around your DT they can kill a very large tort. You need to find a way to get him safe well before dark. If there's one there could be more.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
My son/bowhunting buddy and I dispatch several raccoons a year, but only ones that come into our yard, because otherwise they'll kill my daughter's chickens and box turtles, my tortoises, and my wife's guinea pigs and bunnies.

So as not to be wasteful, though, we have several good recipes...this is a favorite w/ all who've tried it:

Roast Raccoon with Stuffing

~ 5 - 7lb raccoon, dressed, not cut up
~ 1/2 lb sausage meat (Jimmy DEan Hot is my favorite)
~ 3 tbsp butter
~ 1 onion, chopped
~ 1 cup chopped celery
~ 2 tsp salt
~ 1/2 tsp pepper
~ 1/4 cup cream
~ 2 cups corn bread crumbs
~ 2 tsp sage
~ 3 tbsp chopped parsley
~ 1 tsp marjoram
~ 1/2 tsp mace
~ 1/4 cup orange juice
~ 1 cup red wine

In a skillet, saute the onion and celery in the butter.

Add the sausage meat and cook until brown. Drain off the fat.

In a bowl mix the sausage mixture, cream, corn bread crumbs, sage, parsley, marjoram, mace and orange juice together thoroughly.

Salt and pepper the raccoon inside and out.

Stuff the raccoon and close up the belly cavity. Place on a rack in a roasting pan and cook for 45 minutes per pound at 300 degrees.

Turn over when half done.

Baste frequently with the wine and the pan juices when they cook out.

Serve and Enjoy! :p

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
So I have to ask terry, what does coon taste like? please don't say chicken.

Madortoise

5 Year Member
Tortiegal, I agree - I've been coming home before dark lately to lock her up before I go out again or if I have evening appointments. Can't risk it.
Terry, are you pulling my leg? I didn't know if anyone ate stuffed raccoons...I'm shocked...it's just a new concept. Some eat bears so I guess it could happen.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
dmmj said:
So I have to ask terry, what does coon taste like? please don't say chicken.
Madortoise said:
Tortiegal, I agree - I've been coming home before dark lately to lock her up before I go out again or if I have evening appointments. Can't risk it.
Terry, are you pulling my leg? I didn't know if anyone ate stuffed raccoons...I'm shocked...it's just a new concept. Some eat bears so I guess it could happen.

L:DL...much more like pork, actually, although somewhat leaner. Smoked raccoon is almost indistinguishable from a good ham. :cool:

Raccoon is a longtime staple of Southern Appalation cuisine. :cool:

Madortoise

5 Year Member
[quote='

L:DL...much more like pork, actually, although somewhat leaner. Smoked raccoon is almost indistinguishable from a good ham. :cool:

Raccoon is a longtime staple of Southern Appalation cuisine. :cool:
[/quote]

You're right. My husband's secret fantasy is to live and look like those Appalation men...I found a cook book in his library that addressed cooking raccoon. I sure hope he doesn't get that idea around here... Haven't seen it back in my yard for a week now. Still cautious. :)

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Madortoise said:
It's yummy...yummy for your tummy! Tell him a head-shot is best...humane, too. :cool:

(Actually, it took a while for my city-born and raised New Jersey Yankee wife to try stuff like this, but now she loves it as much as my kids and I do...still won't hunt/clean/dress 'em, but one can't learn useful habits overnight...her mom'll eat game meats when she visits, as well, but prefers we not give her too many of the details. ;))

Status
Not open for further replies.