Raccoons

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
stinax182 said:
when i say relocate i don't mean onto some private property or anything like that. it's never ideal to relocate something but if you can find a stream or river in a forest, it'd be great.

I guess I misunderstood when you wrote it was okay to relocate the raccoons in: " perhaps in a different town". Most trapping seem to be done by folks folks in the city or towns and they always seem to say they are going to take them out to the country. I happen to live out in the country (actually the edge of a very small village) and next to a wooded river. We have enough with our own wildlife and don't need or want the added numbers and headaches from "well meaning" folks. We have enough to deal with the dumped dogs and cats.

Also folks do not get fooled that your animals are safe if the sun is out. When I had dealings with a family of coons, they started coming earlier and earlier in the evening.

stinax182

5 Year Member
Springfield, Massachusetts
Re: RE: Raccoons

Jacqui said:
We have enough with our own wildlife and don't need or want the added numbers and headaches from "well meaning" folks. We have enough to deal with the dumped dogs and cats.

i believe that's just something you have to deal with when you choose to live so close to nature. it invades your space because you're invading it. people who choose to live in the city have things like constant cars driving and people going about things at all hours of the day to deal with. so you think a raccoon is better off in the city it originated from with the cars and dangers rather than the forest where their natural food always replenishes itself? it's not like we're talking about a mountain lion that eats 50lbs of meat a day.....you would need a plan to release that.

Jacqui said:
We have enough with our own wildlife and don't need or want the added numbers and headaches from "well meaning" folks.

what would you have someone do with a trapped raccoon then? like i said, there are ways to ensure they may not bother you but if you leave anything for them they are not leaving. and either way, raccoons shouldn't belong in the city. the fact that some feel more at home there than in the forest is sad but not all animals do what's best for them. the forest should be over populated with animals.....

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
stinax182 said:
i believe that's just something you have to deal with when you choose to live so close to nature.

There is a difference betweening dealing with naturally happens and what some person decided to dump out.

stinax182 said:
so you think a raccoon is better off in the city it originated from with the cars and dangers rather than the forest

Yes, I do. That animal knows how to live in the city, it was born and raised there. It knows where it can find shelter, what routes are safe, where problem dogs live, where all the food dishes and garbage cans stand just waiting for them. I don't think most cities allow trapping, the kind where the animal gets it's paw caught in a trap. I don't recall when I lived in the city listening to the coonhunters and their packs of dogs. Nor do I recall cities having hunting and trapping seasons. We also do have those nice things called cars and trucks along with traffic at all hours. In the city, nice folks put out food on their porches to feed the cute coons or there are plenty of dog and cat food dishes not to mention garbage cans to hunt from. In the country we may have food dishes, but most folks are smart enough not to be feeding the coons. In the woods you have to actually hunt. So yes, I do think "city" coons belong in the city and "country" coons in the country.

stinax182 said:
what would you have someone do with a trapped raccoon then?

After a lot of research, my own experience with coons, and a lot of soul searching, I think they should be humanely killed, just like we do with mice and rats.

sissyofone

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, Texas
Speaking of bottle fed babies :p I have one little girl top pic..Shes a little clingy she has a fit everytime she sees me. :D The two boys just want their bottle and to sleep.:cool:
The mom was hit and killed on road.. :(

1382317164693.jpg

1382317476084.jpg

Im a foster for wildlife rescue and rehabilitation. Its an exciting deal never know whats coming in or how many. Lol

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
sissyofone said:
Speaking of bottle fed babies :p I have one little girl top pic..Shes a little clingy she has a fit everytime she sees me. :D The two boys just want their bottle and to sleep.:cool:

Im a foster for wildlife rescue and rehabilitation. Its an exciting deal never know whats coming in or how many. Lol

OMG, I would love to care for baby coons. I don't want their mother killed though. They are so darn cute.

Some people, even in the bigger cities, like here in Chicago, have coon problems. They are live trapped and let loose in the forest preserves. City people don't kill coons, or other animals, they kill each other. Well, in the bigger cities anyway and in the areas I don't live:D. Most city coons were pushed there as there habitats get invaded by humans. Some will follow the tracks and not realize they wandered to far. Heck, we've even had coyotes down town chicago. Cougars, fox, opossum, you name it, it's been in the city some place. All relocated as long as it hasn't harmed someone.

stinax182

5 Year Member
Springfield, Massachusetts
Re: RE: Raccoons

Jacqui said:
After a lot of research, my own experience with coons, and a lot of soul searching, I think they should be humanely killed, just like we do with mice and rats.

well honestly, i didn't know it was that big of a problem, having people drop off trapped animals. i didn't think it happened that often...most people call a pest control company and they either humanely kill it or release it onto private property they have a contact with. (this is my fathers job) and my comparison on the country and city was rash but regardless, if what you say is true about city born raccoons, then it goes the same for feral cats or for that matter, perhaps a couple of coyote pups? it does happen. raccoons are just another animal that carries disease, endangers children, pets and one that can be particularly crafty when it comes to survival.

and like i said, they do humanely gas a lot of the animals they get calls for. but you wouldn't believe the times my father has taken a mother and her babies out of someones' chimney and was told to kill them because there was no where to release them. that's how my mother and i started rehabilitating wildlife. and living in a city, I've never seen anyone leave food out for raccoons. they're terrified of them, actually. i suppose just because you live in a wooded area doesn't mean you like them, but you probably wouldn't run and get your bb gun, would you? my city is particularity.....worse than some, springfield, ma. but that's what's happened here before.

sissyofone said:

they are gorgeous! so are you the person who cares for them as babies or the releaser? i care for them until they are old enough, have their shots and hit a certain weight then we bring them to another lady who provides them with food and water for a weeks. it is very exciting :)

sissyofone

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, Texas
Yes i raise them till there old enough and then they go into a Sanctuary where they are vetted they also make sure they are able to eat enough on there own. And when all thats over with they release them. :)

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
Jacqui said:
stinax182 said:
when i say relocate i don't mean onto some private property or anything like that. it's never ideal to relocate something but if you can find a stream or river in a forest, it'd be great.

I guess I misunderstood when you wrote it was okay to relocate the raccoons in: " perhaps in a different town". Most trapping seem to be done by folks folks in the city or towns and they always seem to say they are going to take them out to the country. I happen to live out in the country (actually the edge of a very small village) and next to a wooded river. We have enough with our own wildlife and don't need or want the added numbers and headaches from "well meaning" folks. We have enough to deal with the dumped dogs and cats.

Also folks do not get fooled that your animals are safe if the sun is out. When I had dealings with a family of coons, they started coming earlier and earlier in the evening.

Really? How early in the evening? Earliest I've seen raccoons in my urban LA neighborhood is about 10pm. Our torts come in at 5 or 6 this time of year.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
check your local laws about trapping and re locating wildlife.. its frowned upon in many areas... parasites, disease..

raymond

5 Year Member
I work for the ppl I would call about traping and relocating I have to do it with raccoons every quintet I pay for a vet check up and if they r desise and parasite free I move them to a protected wildlife sanctuary