Raccoons?

Status
Not open for further replies.

katelyn0974

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Paradise
My turtles are outside in a tank with a clasped screen top. Last night out local duck got killed by a possum or raccoon. Any suggestions on how to keep my babies safe??

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
First you do know that the screen blocks most of the needed UVB. Second, it's almost impossible to stop a raccoon. I would make a wood top for night time only and put a lock on it. Make sure it's a lock a coon can't open. Like a padlock.

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Set a trap and see what you get, put a can of wet cat food in the trap.
I trapped several raccoons at my other house. I had my box turtles tail get bit off by one. I got my revenge;)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
bigred said:
Set a trap and see what you get, put a can of wet cat food in the trap.
I trapped several raccoons at my other house. I had my box turtles tail get bit off by one. I got my revenge;)

You did just move them to a different area far away right? No animal should be killed for doing what they are suppose to do. Remember, we move into their territory and they get pushed into ours:)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Is the tank small enough for you to handle? Just bring it in and keep it inside the door at night, put it back out in the morning.

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
Racoons are super crafty and very good at opening latched lids. They're smart. As previously mentioned, locking them in a closed enclosure with a padlock or combination lock could keep the racoons out, but they'll get into anything short of that.

earthyman71

5 Year Member
Columbus, Ohio
I would honestly raise your turtles inside. I live in the city and the racoons here are pretty tenacious and always hungry. Even though I have a small yard that I would love to convert into a turtle sanctuary, the risk for me is just too great.

katelyn0974

5 Year Member
Paradise
I do know the screen protects UVB light but I don't have a light on them because it gets way to hot here in south Florida. I soak them in the sun with shade almost everyday and they get natural sunlight in the tank in the morning to mid afternoon. The tank is a 40 gal tank too heavy to move in and out every night. Will raccoons rip through the screen?

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
having a tank outside.. can get very hot and you risk cooking your turtles...
Yes, coons can and will pull off screen.. you need something stronger.. like Hardware clothe that is tightly secured on a lid that is locked and cant be opened.
Outside is best for them... if you can make it safe.

and try repelants for the coons...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
katelyn0974 said:
I do know the screen protects UVB light but I don't have a light on them because it gets way to hot here in south Florida. I soak them in the sun with shade almost everyday and they get natural sunlight in the tank in the morning to mid afternoon. The tank is a 40 gal tank too heavy to move in and out every night. Will raccoons rip through the screen?

The uv from the sun will not go through the screen either. That is what I meant. Neither sun or light bulb uv goes through screen very well, most gets blocked.

TortoiseWorld

5 Year Member
Lisle Illinois
I agree with wellington, don't kill animals doing what God created them to do instead prevent their hunt on your tortoises with careful planning. now if you want to eat them for your dinner that's a different story, I read some people like forest animals for food :(

bmt123

5 Year Member
You should just make a small day pen for your boxies and then just bring them in every night. That way the raccoons will be asleep while the turtles are out side. You should still put a lid on it though.

katelyn0974

5 Year Member
Paradise
A day pen is such a great idea, never thought about that. Does the sun go through the glass? I cover 1/2 the tank with shade because I know I can cook them :( I don't want any of that to happen. The tank is under my patio also so they get the sun the morning.

Lasciels Toy

5 Year Member
Florida
You can get coated wire mesh in rolls at Lowes or home depot that would do well for making a top. They come in varying hole sizes and either black or green. Square holes, or rectangles, etc. They won't have much luck getting through it. And you could go all "Where the Red Fern Grows" and dangle some shiny metal from it and trap them :D

EP429

5 Year Member
Central Texas
If you know anyone who can weld, a topper constructed with an angle-iron frame with an expanded steel as the top (think BBQ grill diamond pattern) would keep out coons, dogs, etc, while allowing a bit more light to get through.
Other options might work fine, but if I'm going against a raccoon, I plan to overkill :)

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
do not put it outside in a glass tank... you will cook them..
open air with a secure top that the sun can shine thru. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.