Racoons on Tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida, USA
You seriously need to get a trap and catch that nuisance.

acrantophis said:
I have a 9' fence around the 2' wall that encloses my tortoise pen. I do this because I have a raccoon the size of a Kodiak bear in my neighborhood.

You don't need to get so testy. These folks are just expressing what they'd like to do, but I doubt any animal lover would actually kill a raccoon with a .22. I get your anger, but raccoons are particularly vicious when hunting for food. They'll destroy anything that gets in their way. What most of us would probably do, if we had a raccoon threaten our torts, is get a trap and have them relocated. No need to compare us to the Indian/American thing because it's not the same. You're comparing apples and oranges. This is my opinion...chill out.

RedfootsRule said:
The subject of raccoons is one that has always made me very angry. It is the indian/american situation all over again. Just as we're seeing in florida, as they develop homes further and further into the everglades, and the family that buys the house is just oh-so-surprised there is a gator in their pool! HELLO! Your in THEIR territory. They lived here LONG before us. Same story with raccoons. Humans encroach on their territory and think they have a right to trap and kill them. Even those humans that otherwise call themselves "animal lovers". Take the precautions if you don't want it to happen! Don't want your turtle/tortoise eaten? Wire in the cage securely, or bring it in at night.
People seem to get so angry and hateful towards raccoons when they lose an animal to them, but it's their fault. Lets put ourselves in the raccoons place. I'm hungry, searching for food, and I just found this tasty turtle just sitting there, so easy. Thats like a human walking through town, starving, and what do you know, someone offers to buy you lunch. Depending on who you are, do you say yes or no? So before you "get out your .22" think of the raccoon. Raccoon: "These strange creatures just moved into my territory...They're ripping out my trees and replacing them with houses. Let me go get out my .22"

mercurysmom

5 Year Member
I've always wanted a pet raccoon. They're so cute, like having a cuddly toddler in the house. :)

lovelyrosepetal

5 Year Member
Oklahoma
Only mean and not so cuddly. Definitely cute. Very destructive and when you see them mad, they don't look cute anymore and they look wild, which makes sense, since they are.:D

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Tom did you get that information off Ripley's believe it or not? 50-60 pounds? Sorry, I simply don't believe it. Maybe they live the life of luxury in Southern California and get big and fat but there isn't one east of Hollywood that big. At least not in the wild. Maybe in captivity. I don't doubt that there are exceptions, like with any species, but not on a regular basis.
Can't say I've ever seen a California coon before but I've seen them all over the Northeast, Florida, Texas and the Dakotas and most barely approach 30# at best.
Thats like the tall tales about Common Snapping turtles around here: "As big as a car hood", "wouldn't fit in a 55 gallon drum". I've heard them all. I remove a lot of Snapping turtles from peoples garages and backyards and everyone has a tale that their grandfather told them about the "giant snapper" that he wrestled with!
Are you sure you aren't mixing racoons up with bigfoot?

Sorry buddy, I have to bust on you for this one.

Tom said:
GBtortoises said:
A big one goes about 22-23 pounds, on rare occasion 25 pounds. Years ago when I was a teen we used to hunt them for their fur. That and it's just fun shooting things out of trees at night!

Awe... That's cute. You got little mini-coons back there. They can get 50-60 pounds out here. I heard of a record 73 pound male.

Renj, you've got a real problem there. MOST of the time raccoons come out only at night, but in some circumstances, they will come out during the day too. A secure covered pen should be a priority for you. Even with the secure enclosure, I would still trap and "remove" the offending raccoons. They are just so smart, determined and capable...

Good luck.

mattgrizzlybear

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
AustinASU said:
:) here's what you need a beer, spotlight and a gun:)

Read my quote.

GeoTerraTestudo said:
I realize people are concerned for their pets, but it troubles me to see how much contempt there is for raccoons here. As mentioned above, these animals are not rodents, they are carnivorans and related to dogs, bears, and cats. Moreover, they are native to North America, and have a place in its ecosystems. Other than those with native box turtles or Gopherus species, most of us here have exotic tortoises, not to mention exotic cats, ferrets, parrots, etc. I can't imagine exterminating native animals unless they are overpopulated, or if it's absolutely necessary.

Having said that, they are our pets. Furthermore, raccoons can be carriers of rabies, which is a potential threat to us and our animals. Therefore, prevention is worth a pound of cure. Prevent your tortoises from being injured or eaten by keeping them safely covered, or by housing them indoors. Protect yourselves by not leaving food out for the raccoons to scavenge. With these measures, we should be able to keep conflict to a minimum, and coexist peacefully with our neighbors.

Well said! I belive the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.