Radi sex?

Status
Not open for further replies.

samstar

5 Year Member
At what age or size can one tell the sex of the Radiated? Both my Radi scutes look pointed and with stubby tails indicating they are female.

tygoh

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Far far away.....!
age does not matter as captive breed grow in various sizes. Normally 11inch at least.

samstar

5 Year Member
tygoh said:
age does not matter as captive breed grow in various sizes. Normally 11inch at least.

Normally 11" is when we can tell their sex?

cueboy007

5 Year Member
Ontario
Anyone has picture examples on sexing rads?
Most people agree that 11-12 inches is the minimum size, unless you use endoscopy.

coastal

10 Year Member!
Florida
You can get a good idea visually at that size but there are exceptions. I have seen many different adults and some know males look like females and know females look like males visually speaking. Obviously sex is know because they're proven breeders but just goes to show with this species there is no guarantee unless they're proven breeders or scoped to determine sex.

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
My vet and others in the business say that Radiated are extremely hard to sex until they are at least 12 inches. Love to see pics:)

samstar

5 Year Member
I think I might have one male and the other female, why?

Male-1.15kgs and 7" plastron
Slight concave plastron, more open anal notch and slightly longer gular scutes, stubby tail

Female-1.15kgs and 7.5" plastron
Totally flat plastron, more closed pointed 'v' shape anal notch with hardly developed gular scutes, stubby tail

I know it's a bit early to tell if male or female but I can see where one showing signs of being male, who knows, we'll have to wait till their about 11" just to be sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.