Radiated blocked.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
Icing on the cake. He's eating. It's the closest one to the camera.
Can't believe it. Yesterday I went all day at work thinking this guy was going to die.
I'm off to shop for a bottle of red wine:D

Bambam1989

East Texas
I don't mind if you want to discuss it here.
Yay! Thank you for sharing with me.
I did do a little research before putting it in there. The Tortoise Table has it listed as a safe to eat. Did a search of old posts and the only problem I found was that people couldn't get startings to stay alive because the tort trampled them before they could.
Here in wet Washington there is moss growing on every tree right now. Went and found a maple tree and peeled a big square off. It really is like a rug.
I can easily tare the green off like grass and Clunker has eaten some, more out of curiosity... Thoughts?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I use mounds of moss for my redfoots. I collect the spagnhum moss from marsh lands when I'm out walking the dog. Not had any issues yet.
However, I lost the very first redfoot I hatched at about 3 months old. It was ok one day and dead the next. At this time I was using the moss you have to re- hydrate. It may or may not have been the cause of death.
The TTT lists as edible but unless we collect it ourselves I'm wondering whether we should be using it or not.

For these radiated I have the moss I collect mixed in with leaves for bedding. @Tom what would you suggest for bedding instead of moss.

This particular radiated looks to me like it was eating moss. What I don't know is if the very first lot of stuff we pulled out was moss or not. It looked like it had thorns on what ever it was.

Last thought is my redfoots are not grazing species. Could this be why I'm not having problems, because they simply are not interested in eating moss.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Just spoke to breeder to see if I can learn anything. He uses dried Lein for bedding, has done for 20yrs. Maybe that's what we were pulling out.
IMG_1717.PNG

Can constipation in a tortoise cause partial paralysis of rear limbs?

Bambam1989

East Texas
I use mounds of moss for my redfoots. I collect the spagnhum moss from marsh lands when I'm out walking the dog. Not had any issues yet.
However, I lost the very first redfoot I hatched at about 3 months old. It was ok one day and dead the next. At this time I was using the moss you have to re- hydrate. It may or may not have been the cause of death.
The TTT lists as edible but unless we collect it ourselves I'm wondering whether we should be using it or not.

For these radiated I have the moss I collect mixed in with leaves for bedding. @Tom what would you suggest for bedding instead of moss.

This particular radiated looks to me like it was eating moss. What I don't know is if the very first lot of stuff we pulled out was moss or not. It looked like it had thorns on what ever it was.

Last thought is my redfoots are not grazing species. Could this be why I'm not having problems, because they simply are not interested in eating moss.
The grazing may be a reason he nibbled it. I was considering laying out the moss in the cooler side of his enclosure if it did ok, then I could have sprinkled his food around on a large area without the substrate getting on it to help create the feel of grazing.
I wasn't concerned about him getting tangled in it since what I am using is only a half inch long although I have seen some stuff at petstores that was close to 4inches.
Until it can be determined to be safe, I won't be putting it back in though. Do we have any cases of impaction from live moss here on the forum or that anyone has heard of?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Huh. Just got them out for a soak to find he has a blocked cloaca again. He was dragging his back legs again in the bath. I've pulled out what I can and it's still not what I'm feeding. At least things are moving. I'll keep up 2 soaks a day for them all until I'm happy what I'm feeding is coming out.

Is it normal for the stool to be so dry in this species? Redfoots stool is moist but firm.

IMG_1735.JPG IMG_1739.JPG

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, it's not normal. You usually see coming out just about what went in. I fed cucumber one day and the next day their stool was pretty wet. Have you tried feeding him wet foods like cucumber, aloe, watermelon, cantaloupe, etc.? Also, if he'll eat, you can lay out a leaf of lettuce (iceburg for a picky eater) and spread it with mineral oil (liquid paraffin) then roll it up tightly into a tube. Hand feed him from the end of the tube. Helpful hint for anyone who's reading this - never give mineral oil as food by itself as they won't be able to feel it in their mouth and might inhale it.

Mineral oil is non-absorptive and coats everything inside the tortoise to help it slide out easier.

Have someone hold the tortoise so you have two hands free. Then place your thumbs along either side of the cloaca back a bit from the opening and press gently like you're squeezing a pimple. Try to get behind the mass if you can.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Just about to feed them so I'll add some cucumber. I've given them some mango without the skin to see if that helps. He ate some put I've not seen it come out yet.

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR
Cod liver oil used to be used as a dietary supplement for humans. It was also recommended to put on turtles food a few years back. I used it in the 60s myself. Definitely will not hurt them and acts as good lubrication as well;).

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Fingers crossed, I think I'm out of the woods with this tort.
I've fed some mango and cucumber in the last few feeds. Last 2 baths he has pooped so I think things are loosening up. There was still some stuff in their I've not fed though, and he appears to be walking ok now. I would still say a bit fragile but not dragging the back limbs anymore.
I'll get back to feeding greens only now and see how things develop.

Thank you everyone for your help.