Radiated Tortoise with Burnt Shell

TommyTheV

Location (City and/or State)
San Diego, CA
Hi,

Someone connected with me for this adult female Radiated. Only issue is the owner before the current one got so much heat/UV on top of her that burnt the shell as you can see.

She is healing but will it ever be healed completely according to what you can see here? I've tried researching but most are a case by case basis.

I know certain places like her side near her front left leg won't completely heal but what about up top, will the yellow gaps close up and color in or will that be as good as it gets in terms of healing?

Besides all that she is completely healthy so I am debating thus any advice, insight would be greatly appreciated.

Best,

- Tom

Attachments

• IMG-2265.jpg
    IMG-2265.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG-2267.jpg
    IMG-2267.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG-2269.jpg
    IMG-2269.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 8

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Cosmetic. I wouldn't worry about that at all. There is no way to know how that will develop over time.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Hi,

Someone connected with me for this adult female Radiated. Only issue is the owner before the current one got so much heat/UV on top of her that burnt the shell as you can see.

She is healing but will it ever be healed completely according to what you can see here? I've tried researching but most are a case by case basis.

I know certain places like her side near her front left leg won't completely heal but what about up top, will the yellow gaps close up and color in or will that be as good as it gets in terms of healing?

Besides all that she is completely healthy so I am debating thus any advice, insight would be greatly appreciated.

Best,

- Tom
Based on my experience, I think that new scute keratin may be forming under some of the central scutes. I would not be surprised to see one or more of those scutes come off in the future to reveal a "new" scute underneath it. The damage in the left marginal scute portion of the shell is more advanced, in that there is just bone showing there now. It is soemtimes possible for the scute keratin to very gradually grow back over that exposed bone or even grow just underneath the exposed surface bone which you see now. If the latter happens, a thin layer of necrotic bone will slough off and a new scute will be under it. The new scute may or may not appear somewhat abnormal, IE, be very rough, very smooth, or lack pigment. If you have ever lost a fingernail or a toenail due to trauma the new nail which grows in to replace the one which was lost often exhibits these same idiosyncrasies for a year or two. That is the closest analogy I can provide.

TommyTheV

San Diego, CA
Thank you for your inputs

I've never adopted or purchase torts that was previously injured or damaged before so I wouldn't know about the healing process.

The breeders states "she is perfectly healthy" but to be frank can only take it with a grain of salt. Should I be concerned with vet bills for this one and if this truly is cosmetic she should be able to reproduce and everything right?

I don't generally like to sell my pets but with damages like these how difficult would it be to do so if I decide to later down the road. About $1,000 off market price?

zovick

10 Year Member!
Thank you for your inputs

I've never adopted or purchase torts that was previously injured or damaged before so I wouldn't know about the healing process.

The breeders states "she is perfectly healthy" but to be frank can only take it with a grain of salt. Should I be concerned with vet bills for this one and if this truly is cosmetic she should be able to reproduce and everything right?

I don't generally like to sell my pets but with damages like these how difficult would it be to do so if I decide to later down the road. About $1,000 off market price?
I don't think you will have any vet bills due to the damage shown in your photos. That is old and there is not much to be done about it now other than give the tortoise the best of care and diet and hope it heals more fully over time. She should be able to reproduce. If she does do so, I would say she would still command a pretty good price as a proven breeder. If not, just sell her for what you paid or possibly a bit more depending upon how long you have had her at the time you want to sell her..

pacific chelonians

SanDiego California
I was offered that animal a few years ago, only reason I passed was lack of coloration and for me radiateds are a long term project. So not sure I want to look at that in my group otherwise phenomenal price, especially for an egg laying female.

TommyTheV

San Diego, CA
I don't think you will have any vet bills due to the damage shown in your photos. That is old and there is not much to be done about it now other than give the tortoise the best of care and diet and hope it heals more fully over time. She should be able to reproduce. If she does do so, I would say she would still command a pretty good price as a proven breeder. If not, just sell her for what you paid or possibly a bit more depending upon how long you have had her at the time you want to sell her..

Noted. The breeder sent me a few videos and she seems to move around normally. Not the fastest that I've seen on a bunch of YouTube videos but could be that it isn't that hot yet. They seem to move around more quickly when it's hot! As far as breeding goes she is 20 years old but haven't produced any eggs yet and she is supposedly the biggest of the group so a little confused as to why not.

pacific chelonians

SanDiego California
Noted. The breeder sent me a few videos and she seems to move around normally. Not the fastest that I've seen on a bunch of YouTube videos but could be that it isn't that hot yet. They seem to move around more quickly when it's hot! As far as breeding goes she is 20 years old but haven't produced any eggs yet and she is supposedly the biggest of the group so a little confused as to why not.
I was told she has laid plenty off eggs just all infertile

TommyTheV

San Diego, CA
Went back on the texts, you are correct.

"She has laid eggs but no babies yet".

"She is the biggest and heaviest", and all the others in his group produced something so....it's a toss up she may never be able to produce something? Hummm...

zovick

10 Year Member!
Went back on the texts, you are correct.

"She has laid eggs but no babies yet".

"She is the biggest and heaviest", and all the others in his group produced something so....it's a toss up she may never be able to produce something? Hummm...
If you have doubts as to the reproductive ability of the tortoise, just offer what you feel it's worth to you to take a chance on her and see if it is accepted. I wouldn't obsess over the animal if you feel she may never produce live babies.