Radiated tortoise wound

cuc228

5 Year Member
Hi guys,

I went abroad for a few months and left my radiated tortoise Tony to my friend. He lived in his backyard with fence. After I came back I found there were small wounds everywhere on his neck and limbs, don't know what's happening. His appetite is good and seems not bothered with the wounds. But I still feel worried... please see the red spots in the pictures. Do you think if he is lacking some nutrition or the wounds were bitten by some insect(like ants)?
IMG_5680.jpgIMG_5680.jpgIMG_5681.jpgIMG_5682.jpgIMG_5683.jpgIMG_5684.jpgIMG_5685.jpg

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Could be some kind of an insect bite or tick. But first,,,where are you located? I’m guessing from the looks of the spots it was caused by an insect bite, nothing to do with nutrition.

Any new bites? Id check well all over and soak often.

Bambam1989

East Texas
Are you somewhere in the southern USA? Looks like what fire ants do to my feet when I lived in Texas

cuc228

5 Year Member
Could be some kind of an insect bite or tick. But first,,,where are you located? I’m guessing from the looks of the spots it was caused by an insect bite, nothing to do with nutrition.

Any new bites? Id check well all over and soak often.

Thanks, I'm in Houston TX. I'm also suspecting they are fire ant bites probably. Thats so sad if it's true. Fire ant bites are nightmares even for me... I probably need to move him inside now

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I just dealt with fire ants here in SoCal. Those spots look exactly like the bites I had on my feet and ankles.
He's home from your friend's now, right? At dusk go out and stomp around your yard and his enclosure. It won't take long to find out if you have them!

cuc228

5 Year Member
I just dealt with fire ants here in SoCal. Those spots look exactly like the bites I had on my feet and ankles.
He's home from your friend's now, right? At dusk go out and stomp around your yard and his enclosure. It won't take long to find out if you have them!
Just tried.

Yes I have fire ants in my yard also. Leant it a in hard way. :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
What a pretty face! So sorry, but you and the tortoise are VERY lucky he's still alive. Fire ants usually don't just make one or two bites. . . the whole colony swarms the victim and bites him all over his whole body. And tortoises can't get away like a human can.

Use some sort of cleansing wash on his skin, then dry it. Put some soothing first aid cream on the spots.

cuc228

5 Year Member
How are you doing with the ants? And is your tort ok?

The shipping of fire ant bait took longer than I expected, haven't got a chance to apply it. However it seems the ants in my yard is more "tortoise tolerant" than those living in my friends yard. No new wounds yet.IMG_5699.jpgIMG_5700.jpgIMG_5698.jpg

cuc228

5 Year Member
Now I keep him in a cage instead of his previous kennel fence since I saw a falcon in the sky, I think he is still too small for an enclosure with an opening top. Not like his older brother......IMG_5702.jpg

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
The shipping of fire ant bait took longer than I expected, haven't got a chance to apply it. However it seems the ants in my yard is more "tortoise tolerant" than those living in my friends yard. No new wounds yet.View attachment 247260View attachment 247261View attachment 247262
Just be really careful! When I would disturb the nest, many ants would swarm my legs and bite. It was like standing in boiling water.
Try to make sure he can't get near a mound, or holes in the ground.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Now I keep him in a cage instead of his previous kennel fence since I saw a falcon in the sky, I think he is still too small for an enclosure with an opening top. Not like his older brother......View attachment 247263
Yes, big birds are scary. But Big Bro...he's tough!