Radiateds Diet

jskahn

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wickenburg, AZ
After reading Chris's great write up on Radiateds. I offered my young Radiateds chopped prickly pear cactus. They went wild over it. Being it is a big part of their diet in the wild, I am wondering how much of their diet it should be.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't think any one food should be fed exclusively. As part of a varied diet, you can feed a bit of it every day (along with other foods).

jskahn

5 Year Member
Wickenburg, AZ
I don't want to feed it exclusively, but in the article, he says it is a large part of their diet. Also he says they can eat some fruit in their diet.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's interesting that Chris says its a large part of their diet. Opuntia cactus is native to the Americas and is an introduced plant in Madagascar.

You certainly can't go wrong by listening to and following HermanniChris's advice. If he says cactus is a large part, then I believe him.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't know who Chris is or what article you are referring to, but Opuntia is not a "natural" part of the radiated tortoises diet. That cactus was introduced to Madagascar from the new world in fairly recent history. Many farmers there in Madagascar encircle their fields with the fully spined version of Opuntia to keep the native wild life out. The local tortoise population sure appreciates it when they do that. So while wild tortoises are eating Opuntia, its not a native plant to the area that they have been evolving to eat for eons.

It is a good food for them though. I feed my tortoises (no radiateds) opuntia once or twice a week.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Tom: HermanniChris put up a Radiated care sheet yesterday.