'Raised bed'- type outdoor enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
I'm working on pricing the materials for building a 'raised bed-type outdoor enclosure. One of the long sides will be the cement of our house foundation.

For a 5'x16' enclosure, I have several different options:
-I can use 5/4" thick clear cedar boards that are 6 inches x 8ft. (cut 10ft pieces in half for the 5ft ends). This option would mean stacking 2 of the boards on top of each other for a height of 12" - will cap the corners, and my design includes a hardware cloth walk-in frame, since we have blueberry bushes growing on this side of the house. Total lumber cost for this (including square 2x2 as the corner posts) would be $51 for this. All of these materials fit in our car.

-The other option is a solid 2" thick cedar board that is 12 inches tall and 16ft long, and for the ends a 10ft board that is cut in half. The lumber cost for this option (including corner posts for the hardware cloth) would be $60, but also means I need to organize a truck that can transport a 16' long piece of lumber.

My question: is the 2-inch-thick stuff overkill? What option do you think I should choose?

Follow-up question: do I need to transplant the blueberry bushes, or is it safe to leave them? We harvest the berries, and the leaves start about 12" up or higher.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I'd go with the 2". It's not only the additional thickness that makes it more robust, but there would be less joints. I think once you figure in the additional labor, the 5/4" option is more expensive.

What type of car do you have? You can't strap it to the roof? :p

Lasciels Toy

5 Year Member
Florida
For $9 extra, go for the 2" because unless it's heart wood, it's not overly strong. If you can fit a 10' piece, you can fit a 16' piece with an orange flag on the end :) Will you be burying concrete blocks under the wood to prvent digging out?

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
Haha, we have a VW Jetta wagon - so I'd definitely borrow a truck from someone for the 16' piece. Heck, they have a 20' piece... might as well go with that... thinking of having one small portion I can section off so that the male is sequestered when he's being ornery.

YES, I got some 12"x12"x2" cement pavers from my neighbor that I am sinking into the ground all around to prevent the torts from digging out. 12" is as far down as I can get with a pick-axe - it's rocks embedded in clay from there on. I'm converting the West-facing flowerbed all along the side of our house into a tortoise haven. I've already set up a 4'x6' former Koi pond (drainage holes drilled, gravel below, mesh framed cover) for our Greek tortoise. My 4 Russians will get to spend the days after 11am (once the sun hits that part of our property) outside.

Lasciels Toy said:
For $9 extra, go for the 2" because unless it's heart wood, it's not overly strong. If you can fit a 10' piece, you can fit a 16' piece with an orange flag on the end :) Will you be burying concrete blocks under the wood to prvent digging out?

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Sounds like you will have a nice enclosure for them. I wouldn't worry about the blueberry plants if you dont think they will be able to get the leaves, (not sure if they are nommable ) but figure on the torts digging around the roots. As you know occasional fruit is ok and blueberrys are adored by my crew. So just make sure YOU get most of them!

Status
Not open for further replies.