Raising my yearling Sulcata in a few different habitats. IS this ok?

hannygee

Location (City and/or State)
Louisville KY
I have a lot of room. a LOT. i have had tortoises for over 30 years but never would get a Sulcata til now.
yes, i know I am too old, but thats why i waited to have a kid when i was forty! the will is already worked out! Anyway, is this setup ok?
Inside, she has a wooden tortoise table with heat underneath on reptibark ( there is no eating in this space) for overnight and waking up slowly in the morning once i turn the lamps on.
she has a plastic tub on my deck with a hide and some semi-moist coco coir, especially under the hide where she gets supervised direct sun about 3 hours a day so far.
she has a tank with lamp in the garage( no cars, no fumes) where the coco coir bark is staying VERY moist, i let her play in there an hour a day while I clean the other habitats. Are multiple hab's ok at this time? She seems fine, a little head shy but curious, always ready to eat, and loves stomping about in a couple inches of warm water in a plastic tub daily for 10 to 15 minutes.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I have a lot of room. a LOT. i have had tortoises for over 30 years but never would get a Sulcata til now.
yes, i know I am too old, but thats why i waited to have a kid when i was forty! the will is already worked out! Anyway, is this setup ok?
Inside, she has a wooden tortoise table with heat underneath on reptibark ( there is no eating in this space) for overnight and waking up slowly in the morning once i turn the lamps on.
she has a plastic tub on my deck with a hide and some semi-moist coco coir, especially under the hide where she gets supervised direct sun about 3 hours a day so far.
she has a tank with lamp in the garage( no cars, no fumes) where the coco coir bark is staying VERY moist, i let her play in there an hour a day while I clean the other habitats. Are multiple hab's ok at this time? She seems fine, a little head shy but curious, always ready to eat, and loves stomping about in a couple inches of warm water in a plastic tub daily for 10 to 15 minutes.
The indoor table is no good. You can't maintain the correct conditions in an open table. You should never heat tortoises from underneath. Its not safe and works counter to their survival instincts. Reptibark is best for all the enclosures, needs to be damp, and its fine to feed them in a terra cotta dish sunk into the bark.

Babies should not be outside too much. Weather and climate really don't matter. My general rule is an hour of outside time per inch of tortoise. Your baby will be healthier and grow better if you leave it indoors in a correctly set up closed chamber most of the time. I only put them outside for an hour a couple times a week until they gain some size. By 10 inches, they live outside full time with a heated night box.

The garage tank sound fine for now, but it will be quickly outgrown.

You should be soaking daily for 30-40 minutes. The tortoise will usually poop during the soaking time, so there should not be much clean up necessary.

Give this a read through. Most of the info you find for sulcatas is old, out-dated, and wrong.