Ramming

Tyanna

Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/odd-behavior-of-my-tortoise.80519/#post-751757

I read in this forum that ramming could be because of frustration due to not "breeding".

My tortoise only occasionally rams when I try to wipe some dry substrate off of him or pat down some of the substrate in the enclosure. I'm really slow and cautious when I do these things to make sure I don't spook him, but he still seems to ram in mid-air while I do these things. Could this still be the case? Or am I just bothering him?

He's otherwise a very friendly tort and enjoys the occasional head/chin scratch.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
LOL...not to worry...many species of torts find this a productive behavior (for whatever reason they have going on in their brains) and there is no way any one of us humans REALLY know why some do this...we can all SPECULATE with our own bag of life, but outside of that, there is no one here who can tell you exactly why...but many will offer up speculation or as some like to re word as educated guess...same thing....

I have a crazy bulldozer Redfoot here....he "appears" to almost show enjoyment by stalking, ramming and then rubbing against my hand when I am doing water changes...and sometimes I will simply let him bully the "thing" in his enclosure for what appears to be his satisfaction....lol....

Tyanna

Wisconsin
Just wanted to make sure I wasn't bothering him LOL or...that he needed a little statue buddy like suggested in the thread I read from.

Mavrik

My Sulcata Thor rams my hand whenever I feed him in the morning, but honestly since he's so small still it's more like a dog or car trying to get your hand to scratch their head (which is usually my response to Thor's ramming, and he seems to enjoy the head scratch)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You would know if it were an act of aggression. Example: Yesterday I was working in the back yard and my 80lb doberman was out there with me. I have a 30-40lb rescue sulcata living in the back yard while I try to find him a home. The dog was just laying there minding her own business and the tortoise walked up to her, just nonchalant like. Then he pulled his head in and jumped his body forward, ramming Misty with his gular. She jumped up and moved away. He started chasing her. I mean CHASING! He was walking so fast he was almost running. Misty just kept going around behind him to stay out of his way. This went on for a good two or three minutes until Misty finally got tired of it and moved over to the other side of the yard.

M

Maggie Cummings

A few years ago I did something to **** Bob off and he rammed me. 2 different times and he knocked me off my feet. I'm 5'6" and weigh 125. Then he tried to climb up on me and sniffed my face like he knew he shouldn't have done that....guilt.
Male Sulcata, even smart loving ones can be aggressive and ram things.

Alaskamike

South Florida
A few years ago I did something to **** Bob off and he rammed me. 2 different times and he knocked me off my feet. I'm 5'6" and weigh 125. Then he tried to climb up on me and sniffed my face like he knew he shouldn't have done that....guilt.
Male Sulcata, even smart loving ones can be aggressive and ram things.
That's hilarious.

Tyanna

Wisconsin
You would know if it were an act of aggression. Example: Yesterday I was working in the back yard and my 80lb doberman was out there with me. I have a 30-40lb rescue sulcata living in the back yard while I try to find him a home. The dog was just laying there minding her own business and the tortoise walked up to her, just nonchalant like. Then he pulled his head in and jumped his body forward, ramming Misty with his gular. She jumped up and moved away. He started chasing her. I mean CHASING! He was walking so fast he was almost running. Misty just kept going around behind him to stay out of his way. This went on for a good two or three minutes until Misty finally got tired of it and moved over to the other side of the yard.

Looks like there's a new boss in town LOL

M

Maggie Cummings

I wish you'd of gotten a video. I bet it was funny...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well, actually, I was standing there laughing at it, however, when I see videos like that on YouTube it really isn't funny to me. I don't like to see a tortoise get that upset. I'm going to try to place him quickly so he doesn't have to share his yard with that mean old doberman.

phebe121

My daughter wantes me to say your tort with the punkin top on is cute shes 7 but i thought it was cute