Ramp suggestions for second level addition

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon Coast
So I'm doing a whole table rebuild here shortly and my design might end up with a second story addition on my table.
I have very limited future space after this update. Her table extends around the two walls of her tortoise room and I'm doubling the width, and height of the current space. While adding about 1 to 2 sq. feet to the ends.
But I was thinking about adding another lower level to one angle. Any thoughts or experiences here about using a safe ramp design in a tortoise encloser ... ? I'll get pics of my tortoises room / table tommorow once I can get better lighting.
She is a 4 year old Red Foot that's around 10 inches long.

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oregon Coast
As I sat looking through my previously completed table plans ; I was able to grasp how derailed by my health problems my project has gotten....
Now I just need to accumulate all of my bits and pieces. I ordered a couple of ( 20 cm × 50 cm ) rabbit hutch ramps this morning to connect together. I'll put my gently sloping ramp with a wall on the sides to keep Arty from falling over the side. And these are just the base supplies here. I'm going to modify the heck out of these for a removeable enclosed ramp / hallway ; with at least one lockable trap door for access inside from the upper level.
I want to be able to have a strong structure that I can remove whenever I feel like upgrading anything else in the table. Then lock it in place so than no accident can happen!!!!

Added:
Oh! And I plan to get a large clay planter to break one side off to cover the upper level entry opening so that she can only descend from one angle.

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oregon Coast
And almost as soon as I tried to put some effort back into my plans ( sigh...) I easily spotted some extra plywood laying around that provided all the walls for enclosing the ramp!!! Sweet!!! Now I'm impatiently stuck waiting for those 2 rabbit hutch ramps to get delivered.

Oops. Sorry I forgot to get the enclosure pics!

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Good luck- adding the sidewalls is key! THe second floor addition for smaller spaces is an awesome idea that takes som serious work to accomplish!

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oregon Coast
Oh! Now of course, the moment I asked my family if they have any extra plywood laying around I could use for my table rebuild ( My parents are property managers , and daddy does lots of construction. ) they told me that they have a whole bunch that's taking up space . Now instead of just saving a few bucks, I can get all the wood for my project for free!
Now I just have to wait for Dr. appointment coming up in a week to drive to Portland and grab that too.
What? I actually want to go to my doctor visit now??? Well, thank you Artemis.
I have only had to actually purchased the ramp sections so far. Next I'll order a cheap-o book shelf if I cannot find one of those around for free or at a yard sale.

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oregon Coast
Ok, so I need some advice on what kind of screen i should use to cover the open top of Arty's ramp? I want to keep this thing tortoise safe!

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Ok, so I need some advice on what kind of screen i should use to cover the open top of Arty's ramp? I want to keep this thing tortoise safe!
I would suggest a solid cover to limit the eyesight out or at least solid on the side that looks out. Hardware cloth comes in sizes as small as 1/4" squares and more than tough enough

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oregon Coast
A tip: I would suggest for someone trying this idea out would be the addition of a box over the entry way down the ramp that only allows the tortoise to enter from one side and angle. That way she cannot push her way over the edge.

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oregon Coast
I would suggest a solid cover to limit the eyesight out or at least solid on the side that looks out. Hardware cloth comes in sizes as small as 1/4" squares and more than tough enough

You know, I really dont feel comfortable closing off the top, just because I worry about not being able to see immediately if there is an accident.