Random photos

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
PacificNorthWest
As you all know, it's hotter here than usual, so the box turtles have been spending a lot of time outside in their pond...
100_0116.JPG
This is Buddy, he was a rescue some time ago and he is full grown, and very small. He loves to swim...
100_0113.JPG
100_0112.JPG
This is Elphaba (named after the Wicked Witch of the West), I wanted to show her green head, but instead I see her beak is overgrown.
100_0107.JPG
She was run over by the commercial gardener at the local ski resort and it cut off her leg
100_0108.JPG
Here if you look closely you can see her under the water...
100_0109.JPG
this is the far bank of the pond, I call it "slug hill".
The turtles discovered the slugs gather in the cracks and holes of this old concrete bank, so they swim over to it,
and just grab at slugs, lots of slugs...
100_0100.JPG
this is the dog chewed rescue that I rescued from my sister!!! lol...I named her Chewy
she naps in the cool corner
100_0102.JPG

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
As you all know, it's hotter here than usual, so the box turtles have been spending a lot of time outside in their pond...
View attachment 330228
This is Buddy, he was a rescue some time ago and he is full grown, and very small. He loves to swim...
View attachment 330229
View attachment 330230
This is Elphaba (named after the Wicked Witch of the West), I wanted to show her green head, but instead I see her beak is overgrown.
View attachment 330231
She was run over by the commercial gardener at the local ski resort and it cut off her leg
View attachment 330232
Here if you look closely you can see her under the water...
View attachment 330233
this is the far bank of the pond, I call it "slug hill".
The turtles discovered the slugs gather in the cracks and holes of this old concrete bank, so they swim over to it,
and just grab at slugs, lots of slugs...
View attachment 330234
this is the dog chewed rescue that I rescued from my sister!!! lol...I named her Chewy
she naps in the cool corner
View attachment 330235
Sorry to have to burst your bubble, but Alphaba is male. Just look at that long tail, and the red eyes. . . and I'm not real sure if this is right or not, but I THINK only the male ornata have green heads.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Sorry to have to burst your bubble, but Alphaba is male. Just look at that long tail, and the red eyes. . . and I'm not real sure if this is right or not, but I THINK only the male ornata have green heads.
I did have a female box turtle I re-homed with red eyes. I thought she was a male until she laid eggs a couple of years after she'd been in my home.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
You simply must stop changing the sex on my animals! She's been a female for 5 or 6 years...damn. I suppose it doesn't make any difference... she only has 3 legs breeding would be hard I hope as all my ornata are female

Srach

Arkansas
What a lovely, fun place for box turtles to hang out! I have been building an enclosure with cinder block and thought I'd need to make it two bricks high. Have you had any issues with the boxies trying to escape over the single-brick part of the enclosure? (Though maybe they wouldn't want to since they have an all-you-can-eat slug feast!)

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
And an awfully cute Mary Knobbins, or is it just awful ? lol we love Mary

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
What a lovely, fun place for box turtles to hang out! I have been building an enclosure with cinder block and thought I'd need to make it two bricks high. Have you had any issues with the boxies trying to escape over the single-brick part of the enclosure? (Though maybe they wouldn't want to since they have an all-you-can-eat slug feast!)
TRY to escape yes, able to actually escape...Nope!!!