Re' "Bring Out of Fridge"-He's Out!

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Back in Feb, @Tom advised me to leave Chug in his fridge til at least March, which was exactly the best thing to do! We had a really cold spell that would have been a problem.
Anyway, I have been having health issues, and didn't want to bring him out until I was certain I could care for him, so I left him in the fridge until this past Wed.
I allowed him to warm as slowly as possible to room temp, gave him a slightly warm soak, and put him in his enclosure.
Since then, I have been warm water soaking for an hour each morning. He sleeps in his dogloo, suns himself in the morning, walks around a bit, then goes back to sleep.
So far I have not seen him drink, but there are bubbles from both ends in the soak. No sign of a URI, no interest in food...he just seems sleepy.
He was in the fridge 4 months, and lost 10 gms over that time. He is 1540 gms.
Do you all think he's ok, and just needs more time and warmer temps to perk up? Or should I be worried? My instincts tell me he's ok, but they've been wrong before...these are from yesterday.
20180325_125008.jpg20180325_124957.jpg20180325_124954.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Its still pretty darn cold out. Does he have an area to warm up, like a heat lamp or heated shelter of some sort?

Its supposed to warm up in the next couple of days...

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Its still pretty darn cold out. Does he have an area to warm up, like a heat lamp or heated shelter of some sort?

Its supposed to warm up in the next couple of days...
No, he doesn't. I've been putting shade cloth into the igloo entrance to block the wind, then when he comes out in the morning I soak him.
He is MUCH better today! After his 1 1/2 hr soak, he is walking up high on his feet all over his enclosure! And he ate! Only some dry hay, but at least he ate. Walked through puddles, so had good opportunity to drink if he wanted it. Eyes are bright...I think he's good.
Yeah! I made it through my first brumation! And in the fridge!
Thank you so much, Tom....you are a gem.20180326_135826.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
No, he doesn't. I've been putting shade cloth into the igloo entrance to block the wind, then when he comes out in the morning I soak him.
He is MUCH better today! After his 1 1/2 hr soak, he is walking up high on his feet all over his enclosure! And he ate! Only some dry hay, but at least he ate. Walked through puddles, so had good opportunity to drink if he wanted it. Eyes are bright...I think he's good.
Yeah! I made it through my first brumation! And in the fridge!
Thank you so much, Tom....you are a gem.View attachment 234311
This is a problem. He's up and eating, but he has no way to warm up properly and digest the food in his gut. He needs a heat source until the warm weather returns and stays.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
This is a problem. He's up and eating, but he has no way to warm up properly and digest the food in his gut. He needs a heat source until the warm weather returns and stays.
It's to be 80 deg here tomorrow, and 88 the next day. Will this be warm enough? Upper 50's at night for 3 nights, then 60's.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It's to be 80 deg here tomorrow, and 88 the next day. Will this be warm enough? Upper 50's at night for 3 nights, then 60's.
You are a lot warmer out there than we are here. I expected it to be cooler out there this time of year.

80-88 and sunny should get it done if it stays that way, but you might want to bring him into the house during the cold nights, or provide a heat source outside.