really concerned about my new guys shell :(

liv

so i just got a new Russian tortoise from pet-co which i know isn't the best place to get him but i felt bad for him and wanted him out if there. once i got home i really saw how his shell looks and it doesn't look good to me and i am really worried :( not too sure on how old he is but he looks young to me. i have an older one who is about 18 years old which i also got from pet-co when i was 10 and he was 10 as well so i thought that was pretty cool lol and he looks pretty good. im new to this site and dont know how to insert a pic to show you guys :( can someone help?

liv

this is his shell @Tom

Attachments

• IMG_1471.JPG
    IMG_1471.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1472.JPG
    IMG_1472.JPG
    1,023 KB · Views: 25

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
this is his shell @Tom

That doesn't look too bad at all.

I see some things in the pics though that are worth mentioning.

1. The new one needs to be quarantined before introduction to you older one. They frequently come in with all sorts of nasty bugs and parasites. Don't risk the health of your long established tortoise by letting them have contact or even use the same space.
2. You need a better substrate.
3. Your diet needs improvement too.
4. That enclosure is much too small.

Because this is a recent acquisition, I would soak daily for at least a couple of weeks to insure good hydration and get the bowels moving. After that taper down to two or three times a week.

Its all in the care sheet linked above.

liv

yea i plan on building them a bigger place and getting better stuff for them. my brother picked out the substrate while i was gone on vacation because the pet store said it would be good for them -.- my older one is super stubborn and wont eat anything but lettuce and i cant seem to find anything he likes :( how could i get him to eat better stuff? and should i put calcium powder on his food? @Tom

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
They are creatures of habit. To introduce new foods finely chop up a tiny amount of the new stuff and mix it up thoroughly with a large amount of the old favorite stuff. If the tortoise doesn't eat it on day one, make up a fresh batch with less new stuff for day two and so on... Over time up the ratio of new to old. In time the new stuff becomes familiar and they get used to the taste smell and texture.

Ignore all the talk about grass and sulcatas and just skip to the food list in this thread:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/